When to divide Siberian Iris?

I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my vegetable garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out. The iris are surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with grass. Can I dig them now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and move them (the irises) to the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall? Thanks.
Bob

I'd recommend waiting until fall to divide irises. Well, for most perennials, for that matter.

Siberian iris are tough, I think you'd be find digging them out now and moving them; just make sure to keep them well watered through the hot summer months. The tall bearded iris are best dealt with at the end of July (in my area, anyway).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
zxcvbob wrote:

Bob,
You can transplant them now but I would wait until fall. It would also be a good idea to feed them about once a month until you transplant them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years