When to divide Siberian Iris?

I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my vegetable garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out. The iris are surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with grass. Can I dig them now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and move them (the irises) to the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall? Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I'd recommend waiting until fall to divide irises. Well, for most perennials, for that matter.

Reply to
Natty Dread

zxcvbob expounded:

Siberian iris are tough, I think you'd be find digging them out now and moving them; just make sure to keep them well watered through the hot summer months. The tall bearded iris are best dealt with at the end of July (in my area, anyway).

Reply to
Ann

Bob,

You can transplant them now but I would wait until fall. It would also be a good idea to feed them about once a month until you transplant them.

Reply to
Bill R