WHEN TO CUT BACK ORNAMENTAL GRASS????

A Google search said to do it in the spring. One source said to leave it intact for a "Winter effect." Can I cut it back now?? I don't want it drying out and have pieces of it blown everywhere.

Reply to
tomkanpa

Leave it until spring. It won't blow everywhere. What have you done in the past?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Leave it until spring. =A0It won't blow everywhere. =A0What have you done in the past?

____Reply Separator_____

I cut it back in the fall, but I was told I shouldn't do this.

Reply to
tomkanpa

____Reply Separator_____

I cut it back in the fall, but I was told I shouldn't do this.

If it's already dominate, cut away!! If it's still green don't.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

"tomkanpa" expounded:

The only reason to not cut it back in the fall is so you can enjoy its winter silhouette. I usually cut it back before the snow smashed it.

Reply to
Ann

The reason to not cut it back up north is to prevent possible crown damage during the cold temperatures. I have many grasses which are rangy, that I cut back now. There are others which look beautiful through the winter. I live in a warm winter climate, so crown protection is not necessary. However, I don't cut back the pennisetum because it is marginally hardy here and will come back if I don't cut it back.

Reply to
Jangchub

I have red fescue. It's cut late in October so that I can rake leaves off it. Otherwise, accumulated leaves smother patches of the grass, leaving dead spots. It's cut again in April since it grows through the winter.

Reply to
David Ross

Reply to
madgardener