When the yard police goof

Page 2 of 2
madgardener wrote:

Last year I planted cherry type tomatoes and used red plastic mulch. I have nothing to compare last year with but the tomatoes were tasty and plentiful.
Thanks for remembering about the boo.

USDA Zone 8

Ag.........I'll corner his ass soon enough. The timber bamboo by the way in town has poked up thru the road!! I was amused............and wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it one day. it had found a crevase to creep thru and had shoved up thru the asphalt. amazing and scary shit. I don't want ANY of it. I'll take it cut, thank you! m.

David Martel wrote:

Your flippancy is justified; I didn't flesh out the context of the situation. I've made it a point to keep the public space in front of the house trimmed and the alley by the side of the house free of overhanging branches. The house is one of a few 1920's bungalows amid 1940s and 1950s houses that are somewhat more substantial. My elderly neighbor who lives in a similar house across the street was hit with a similar citation at the same time.
The area is on the brink of gentrification; it's not far from the Anacostia watershed of Washington, D.C. that is the object of a recent comprehensive development plan. And this city has seen a post-9/11 willingness of authorities of all kinds to use their muscle -- for example, when the 12-year-old girl was handcuffed for eating in a Metro station.
I've lived at that address for 19 years and have always had cordial relations with the neighbors. None of them has ever complained about my preference for hands-off landscaping. The issue, ultimately, is esthetic, and the question is whether the city can decide when to dictate esthetics -- in the absence of complaint -- by using regulations that were certainly intended to penalize owners of neglected vacant lots.
-- snipped-for-privacy@cpacker.org (Charles Packer) ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org http://cpacker.org/whatnews
Sorry if my answer seemed flippant. You suggest that you have carefully landscaped your property and that it is not overgrown or a public nuisance. Oddly you seem to indicate that only the front and an alley receive routine trimming. You suggest that the 1920s bungalows are being "picked on". Do you know if your citation was in response to a complaint? In the matter of esthetics a judge will consider photos that you bring and listen to what you have to say about them. He will also listen to the opinions of the "lawn police". It's hard to predict how the judge will decide on esthetics. Is your yard a haven for vermin? How does it compare to other yards in the area? I don't know what to make of your belief that you are being picked on for owning a small bungalow. If other, more substantial, homes in the area have similar landscaping with similar maintenance but have not been cited then I guess you can ask why. If your citation was due to a complaint then you should find out who complained.
Good luck, Dave M.
David Martel wrote:

Point well-taken. I hope the inspector returns the call I made to his voice-mail this morning. I would much rather deal directly with whomever made the complaint. I could accomodate them by building a fence...or maybe just negotiate the complaint away.
-- snipped-for-privacy@cpacker.org (Charles Packer) ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org http://cpacker.org/whatnews
This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with an (A)lley (I)nspector last Winter.
AI - Sir, you have to get rid of the refuse you have in the alley.
Me - Excuse me?
AI - You have a pile of dirt in the alley.
Me - dirt is refuse?
AI - Yes.
Me - But it's dirt.
AI - It is refuse.
Me - How can dirt be refuse?
AI - Weeds will start growing in it
Me - It's composting (dug up lawn) over an old weed patch.
AI - Compost goes in the back yard.
ME - what-ever.
AI - I'm only giving you a warning, please clean it up.
Here it is, January in Chicago and I'm going to move a pile of dirt/compost/mulch etc. Luckily Ma nature cooperated and the temps rose into the 60's and some rain help defrost it. Moved it onto the other side of the fence, into a neighbors garden area (which I wanted to do in Spring) that was solid weeds the year before (hence weeds all over the alley also). A few days later we got about 10 - 12'' of snow. I was picturing the guy coming back and digging through snow looking for dirt LOL.

Haven't heard of the case.
I, being a westerner at present, thought this was about wasting H2o. Now I am not sure if its zoning aesthetics or environmental concerns over the watershed.
Sounds like government hell. Do inform us of the outcome.
I live in Hawaii now where they're wont to enact laws, but enforcement never occurs. Sounds like you have the opposite going on in DC.
snipped-for-privacy@cpacker.org wrote:

What city? Why do you live there? Since the infraction was from a year ago you will probably be assessed an additional fine. Technicalities are always in favor of the government.

USDA Zone 8

Do what a local yokel did. He planted his yard full of something and declared his yard a protected something or other, and the city attorney threw his (pansey-like) hands in the air in defeat!
-