When should redbud blossom?

Hello,

Yesterday I planted an eastern redbud tree. Okay, it's an eastern redbud *twig*. It's about 4 feet tall and 1/2 inch thick, several branches but no leaves now. In how many years should it show its first blossom? In how many years should it "fill out"?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted

madgardener

Ted, Our Redbuds have already come and gone about a month ago (zone 7 Texas) They are one of the first trees to bloom and they bloom before they get any leaves. Dogwoods come second. It should show its first blossom the first year unless it has planting shock, then it won't bloom til next year. Just keep it alive and happy and it's be about 1 foot taller by next spring and bloom for you. Lori

Reply to
morninglori

I planted a redbud tree a few weeks ago, and it hasn't done anything yet. Let's assume it suffered transplant shock. No leaves, no buds, nothing. How long should I wait until I decide it's died? Or is there some way to tell already?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker, certified gray thumb Madison, Wisconsin, US USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted