When plant Canna's ?

We live in Zone 5, and have a quantity of Canna bulbs from last year which we dug up last Fall. When is the best time to put them back in the garden ? Obliged ! Ben

Right now. If they sprout, and you expect one of those late season freezes, toss an old bed sheet over them. Next year, if you have the space, start them in early March in pots or trays, under lights or in a VERY sunny window. You'll get flowers a little sooner. Not always worth the effort, unless you're obsessed with them or you have a greenhouse.
You can plant your Canna RHIZOMES (Their not bulbs) after the danger of freezing is past and the ground has warmed up some. Out here in the High Mojave Desert mine, which I don't need to dig up, are sending up shoots already.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
I'm in Bakersfield and my Canna's never completely died back. This weather has been SO bizarre. My poppies have already sprouted and some are going to seed.... usually they don't sprout until summer. Nothing is being water either.... we've just had so much rain (relatively speaking) Nicole

Well, your not that far away from me, I'm over and down the hill from you in the southwesten corner of Kern, down in Rosamond. I don't lift my canna at all and right now there's lots of them sending up their shoots. I'm getting ready to start some canna seeds too. I mostly grow Omega, but I also have my Thai Princess and Tiki-Torch canna.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
I have tons of Cannas in my back yard. They've been out there for over a decade. I never dig them up, and they continue to multiply. On very cold winters the leaves freeze a bit, so I cut them back down even with the ground, and in a few weeks after the first warm weather (March or so), they spring right back up.
I live in Sacramento.
Myrl Jeffcoat http://www.myrljeffcoat.com