When pick oranges?

Don't sneer; I really do not know whether I am supposed to wait until they "yield to the touch, or WHAT! There are 3 big orange oranges on my dwarf Washington. Have been that way for, h, probably several months. Can oranges be "stored" on tree like lemons? I'm afraid to wait too long, and afraid to pick too soon.

Any help appreciated.

So. Calif coastal.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Oranges ripen in the late fall. They and other citrus can indeed be left on the tree for an extended period without spoiling. I'm still picking kumquats that ripened last December.

If you want to eat an orange now, pick it now. After a long period on the tree, they will start to lose moisture.

Also, in hot weather, they might turn green again. That is merely a color issue, not a ripeness issue. But that is why citrus is generally not grown commercially in the tropics. No one wants to buy a dark green orange or lemon even if it is fully ripe.

Reply to
David E. Ross

hey "yield to the touch, or WHAT!

way for, h, probably several months. Can oranges be "stored" on tree like l emons?

on the tree for an extended period without spoiling. I'm still picking k umquats that ripened last December.

he tree, they will start to lose moisture.

or issue, not a ripeness issue. But that is why citrus is generally not g rown commercially in the tropics. No one wants to buy a dark green orange or lemon even if it is fully ripe.

Thanks, David. Will wait until I can ceremonially say a Bracha over first fruits. Secular though I be, there is SOMETHING about harvesting first fru its that harkens back to the blood.. HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

they "yield to the touch, or WHAT!

way for, h, probably several months. Can oranges be "stored" on tree like lemons?

I have known about the just leave it on the tree for lemons. For oranges it may be variety/cultivar specific. From when i was growing up (Santa Clara valley CA) the backyard dwarf navel orange would drop some fruit but never could tell what the trigger was.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk