When is you last lawn cutting of the season?

Hello, My wife and I recently purchased our first home. This past summer was my first attempt at lawn care and unfortunatley I had to learn a few lessons the hard way. Here is my question: When should I make my last cut of the season? We live in Maryland and just last nite got the first frost. I would like to begin winterizing my equiptment, but not until I have made the last cut. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Chris H

Let the grass decide for you. I'm in Northern DE and expect to cut grass through October into November. Frost will not stop the grass from growing. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Cut it when it's getting longer than you want it, but don't cut if there is frost or likely to be frost for a couple of days after cutting

Reply to
David Hill

The next minute it's dry, cut it to about 3-4 inches and goodnight. Of course, you should have fertilized about a month ago with a slow release fertilizer. Preferably one which has organic matter as the filler, not some unknown synthetic composition.

Reply to
animaux

We don't know when the last mowing will happen--this can be anytime from Ocotber to Decemeber. It does't hurt to start treating the gasoline with stabilizer.

Reply to
Phisherman

My grass (SE Virginia) slows down and then pretty much stops growing in late fall. If you mow when the lawn needs mowing, the "last cut" is automatic. You cut it; it doesn't grow any more; you garage the mower. If you mow every 5 days, no matter the need, I haven't a clue.

BTW, I have paid attention the past few years, and the grass *begins* growing again right around the vernal equinox.

Reply to
Frogleg

According to a Ortho lawn care book, we are supposed to leave cool season grass to the maximum mowing height in the last mowing of the year. That will be something like 3" for Kentucky bluegrass, and that is the height that I am going to leave at in my lawn.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan