When do pears ripen?

There is a 10 foot tall pear tree in the lot behind me, that I discovered a few weeks ago. I've been watering it once a week. it is loaded with medium small hard green pears. Any idea when I can expect them to ripen? It went with water all summer, and don't know how that might have effected it.

Reply to
Zootal

told2b

What you don't want to do is let the pears rippen on the tree. They will be overripe at that point. Pears are unusual in that they rippen from the inside first. Pick them when they first start to feel a bit soft, not necessarily over the whole surface. Put them in the fridge for a while and take them out to rippen in your house.

Sherw> Zootal wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

I checked them a few days ago. They are hard as a rock, and getting bigger. Is that normal for this time of year?

Reply to
Zootal

One of our pear trees is just starting to soften a bit, the other is still rock hard.

That's south of Seattle, your local climate can make a big difference.

Pears keep much longer if you pick them before they're ripe, but they taste better if you let them fully ripen on the tree. But I can't eat them all fast enough if they ripen on the tree, so some of them have to come off early, even if they aren't quite as good that way.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Pears are somewhat unique within fruits in that they rippen from the inside outwards. They will rippen nicely if picked as they just begin to turn soft. Put them in the refrigerator and let them rippen there. If they are ripe on the outside, they are probably rotten inside.

Sherw> > > I checked them a few days ago. They are hard as a rock, and getting bigger.

Reply to
sherwindu

It's mid September, and the clouds and rain are moving in. And my pears are still rock hard. I'm thinking of picking them now before they rot in the rain. The ones I pick are still green and hard after a week of sitting on my kitchen window, they just don't seem to be getting ripe...yet. and I'm...280 miles south of Seattle? Just SE of Salem, Oregon.

Reply to
Zootal

It depends on the variety. If you know what variety you have, look in a catalog; ripening times are usually given.

I gather you know that they should be picked before they are ripe, unless they are Asian pears.

vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

If it's any consolation: the pears I buy from the supermarket can take up to 3 weeks to soften, in cold weather.

If you conclude your pears are never going to soften, cut them into quarters and stew them by boiling in water with added sugar. They soften and develop flavour. Chill in fridge, then serve with ice-cream, custard or yogurt.

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage