When do I spray the fruit trees?

I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening:) Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Check with a reputable nursery in your area. There are different types of sprays. I believe dormant oil is sprayed in late winter/ early spring, which means something different depending on your zone.

The county agent also can help. They are very helpful albeit lonely folk just dying to talk to someone who will listen.

Reply to
MC

Just to be a bit more specific. Dormant oil is a good first step, but be sure to do it before the trees come out of dormancy (you see buds beginning to open). A regular spray schedule of a pesticide and a fungicide should be followed for the growing season. Usually, you cannot spray often enough because of rainy or windy weather. Don't spray any insecticide while the blossoms are out, or you will kill the friendly pollinators. You can use a good general orchard spray for starters. If you continue to have problems, you may have to take more specific measures by using a more specific spray, or hanging traps from the trees.

Sherw>

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren

Ugly mildew sounds like brown rot. Peaches aren't easy. It takes several chemicals sprayed at the right time and for a couple trees it becomes expensive and you have to get educated in order to buy and handle the chemicals. I think you are too late this year, but contact a county agricultural agent for the information you need.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

I spray my peach tree and grape vines with a mix of dormant oil and copper sufate right after pruning, which is in early January. (I also use this on my roses, which I prune at the same time.) Then, only on my peach tree, I use the same spray again when the flower buds show red, just before opening. After the peach is through blooming and the petals have fallen, I spray both the peach tree and my roses for bark borers (a serious problem here).

These are the only preventative sprayings I do. Any other spraying is in response to an existing infestation, which means that -- in some years -- I do no other spraying.

Reply to
David Ross

Is it too soon to use a dormant oil now here in Zone 5, the thumb of Michigan?

How soon can I spray with fungicide after applying the oil?

I hate to mess with chemicals after the leaves are out because of the birds...

Mostly want to protect serviceberries, crimson king maples, Whitespire birch..the serviceberries (amelanchier) are the first to break out in blossoms.

Can I use dormant oil on Skyrocket Junipers?

Thanks, martha

Reply to
robin

Contact your country extension office for the best info on your area. The advice is free and reliable.

Reply to
MC

OR, a novel idea, read the labels.

Reply to
escapee

Hi Robin, What you need are two consecutive days of day and night temperatures above 40 degrees fahrenheit. You also want a relatively dry time when there are no heavy rainfalls in sight. Check your weatherman. No need to check further.

Sherw>

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren

RTFL Read the #$%^%$ label.

Reply to
Beecrofter

streaming radio if out of range the O'Franken Factor

Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Just what I want to listen to, a bunch of liberal bigots.

Reply to
Elias Quinn

And why would you call Franken a bigot when the right has the bastions of bigotry such as O'Sullivan and drug head Limbaugh daily polluting the air waves. I once listened to a tirade by Limbaugh against Janet Reno that made me ashamed that I once voted a Republican ticket.

What precisely is wrong with being a liberal? I equate the term liberal with being a caring, civil rights oriented group that truly cares about individual rights, which includes those of the poor as well as the rich and likes his/her taxes spent on schools, libraries, kids, and families. What am I missing?

It really bothers me that the Republicans have turned "liberal" into a four letter (okay seven) word. :(

John

Reply to
B & J

I have to admit Air America IS ripping some right wingers a new asshole. They went after Ann Coulter and needless to say, W. I do turn it off at times when all they are doing is personal attacks instead of discussing the facts. At least Air America IS discussing facts most of the time, unlike all the right wing Lush Rambo types that are either in attack mode or lying.

I am a liberal. >And why would you call Franken a bigot when the right has the bastions of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

You have my sympathy.

Reply to
Elias Quinn

Yah know, liberals are viewed as Good Things(TM) in some other parts of the world. An American Liberal is equivalent an old Canadian Red Tory. Put _that_ in your pipe and smoke it, she said, baiting the elephant. :)

Shirley Hicks Cdn Zone 6B Toronto, Ontario Canada*

*Canada, home of the balanced budget and the one-payer medical system!
Reply to
A mukluk wearing troll

"Elias Quinn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

More smarmy smerfling sound-bites. Hey look I can do it, too!

Reply to
Salty Thumb

believe me when I say being a liberal is its own reward. I dont waste my life pursuing the accumulation of money, I dont waste my life yearning after everything "other" people have. I know for a fact that after the love and respect of family and friends, good health, enough food and a roof over my head everything else is nice but simply doesnt increase my happiness by any significant factor. Money is no affirmation of my "worth", I am not defined by what I own. My security is in my relationships with people, not in a bank account. Maybe because I dont believe in a "hereafter" I am very concerned with people in the here and now living in miserable poverty. I dont believe there is any future reward for misery. So I am happy to pay the taxes that help those less fortunate, and consider myself fortunate that I dont need help. I am happy to pay health insurance, fortunate that I am healthy. I pity those who cannot contribute, those without a job for working is ennobling, cheating and sloth are there own punishments. Maybe cause I am not religious I dont need to be telling other people how to live. Maybe because I am tolerant my life is rich and full of interesting people and I cannot imagine having to constantly worry about "them" all the time. Yes, life is very good being a liberal. Ingrid

"Elias Qu>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

The lower one's level of education, the more likely one is to be a liberal. The less education one has, the lower one's average income is likely to be.

Liberalism is a refuge for those living in envy of the accomplishments of others.

Reply to
Spinner & Lugnut

Spinner & Lugnut wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

mwhahahahaha, LMAO!

The grain of truth is if you equate being educated with being well trained, the corollary is true. The higher one's level of training (like a dog adept at performing tricks), the more likely one is to be a conservative. The higher the level of indoctrination, the higher one's average income is likely to be. Obedience is richly rewarded ... and if you are disobedient or disloyal, well then, like fish in the sea, there are plenty of dogs in the country. You don't need any education for that, you just need to be a good dog. Likely, you, being well trained, but poorly educated, aren't able to differentiate.

Smerfs like to make (and smerflings like to repeat) grandiose generalizations that appear plausible but upon inspection, aren't truly representative of reality, being true only in specific senses contrived for their own sake. The higher one's level of education (which implies being able to think for one's self and not merely vomit back someone else's ruminations), the less likely one is going to be conned by the propaganda.

Exactly how did you come to the conclusion you shared above, or were you just repeating something you heard? If you really are 'educated', you'll be able to provide some basis for you claims or at least have a discussion on the topic.

Reply to
Salty Thumb