what would be a good vegetables to grow in San Diego.

Want to start grow vegetables. Something good and usefull, that I can really use and maybe if I have a lot exchange with other people for other things.
Should be easy to grow, plentiful on small piece of land and usefull enough in every household.
I know I will do tomatoes. What else?

Everything.