What weed grew best for you this year?

Sorry but I couldn't resist blending two neighboring messages. In my case I'd have to say Japanese Climbing fern, with Cat's Claw as a close second. zemedelec
Cat claw and Wedelia (I was warned when I bought it). Still pulling out Coronilla varia (crown vetch) after 5 years.
JK
Zemedelec wrote:

--

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP

The Weed of the Year award goes to Pokeweed again this year with a close second of Giant Ragweed. The pokeweed took over the back yard around the shed to dizzying heights of 7 feet -- since the area was already elevated a solid 3-4 feet (retaining wall & patio) that 7 feet looked even more impressive.
James

We had a bumper crop of star thistle around here. But I finally figured out that I can crowd them out by planting millet. Woopee.
Philip
no one of importance wrote:

Burclover, hands down. I must have pulled 10,000 (literally -- one day I counted 500) and there were always more. I think I'd rather kill the entire lawn (HA!) than do that again.
--
Cheers,
Bev

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:06:18 -0400, Zemedelec wrote:

Ground Ivy. It was REALLY, REALLY bad this year. I tried the 2 teaspoons of Borax in a quart of water on a small patch to test it a few weeks ago and so far it hasn't done squat. Next will be 4 teaspoons on another patch.

They all did well - lambs quarter, dandelion, sorrel, oxalis, ground ivy, clover, etc, etc. But I allow all the weeds to grow until they flower and pull them before they seed. Most are beneficial to attract insects and the ones with deep tap roots help to pull up nutrients from the soil. The clovers and sorrel I use as green mulch. The ground ivy I definitely pull out of the beds but it makes a nice hardy ground cover for pathways.
All the usual barnyard ones, we had a new garden with a liberal coating of barnyard 'poo' beautiful and black, and lots of energy to grow anything put in it. (purslane, pigweed for sure) and a few others I don't know names of, but know them from years of garden pulling at the farm. At least they are easy to pull out! Jenny

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) wrote in

Lambs Quarters, common groundsel, flixweed, burdock, and bindweed. Chickweed was rampant in the front, and we had our first occurrence of common mallow.
--
Atara
"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."

agricolae fatuae sapiunt virginum dulcium posteaquam incensae erant
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) wrote in message

It was a tie between the common dayflower and jewellweed.
zemedelec said:
<< In my case I'd have to say Japanese Climbing fern, with Cat's Claw as a close second.>>
The winner as in every year is Jerusalem Artichoke.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
On 10/13/03 12:06 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com, "DavesVideo"

Cheryl
I had very few weeds this year! Maybe a few dandelions and some lamb's quarters.

Oxalis, everywhere you look.....and bigger than I've ever seen it before.
Tyra nNJ usa z7
Tyra Trevellyn said:

This was *the year* for oxalis in my ornamental plantings. Lots of pigweed and black nightshade in the veggie garden.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Weeds? Without Weeds I would HAVE no lawn....guess Lambs quarters, Greater Mullien, Bull Thistles and Dandelions. And a gravel driveway loaded with chamomile but I don;t count THAT as a weed!
Dave
On 12 Oct 2003 23:06:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

I have a bed I try to keep in "wildflowers". I usually just grab a couple of packets off the seed racks in the Spring and mix them and sew them. This year I put a pack of some sort of "cosmos" on there as we've planted and loved cosmos in years gone by. This strain - what ever it was - went to all tops. It was taller than me before it fell over and the blooms were tiny and rather insignificant. They positively crowded out the rest of the bed and we finally attacked with shovels and machete and ripped the whole mess out.
I didn't save the packet but I wish I had. I sure as heck don't want that stuff again!
Peace! Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA http://ky-dan.com