What vines will grow along with wisteria?

Hello I am new here and I live in zone 9. I have two wisteria plants and they both are growing on a wooden overhead lattice over my sidewalk. One is on the north side and the other is on the s/e. The north is thick and beautiful and flowers very well. The s/e one is slower growing and pretty sparse. It also flowers but not as much as the other one. My neighbor has wisteria set up just like mine and her plant on the s/e side is just like mine. I think it's because the one on the s/e gets too much sun. I bought both of mine as 2 year plants at the same time.

Anyway, I was thinking of planting another type of vine on the s/e side to fill in and was wondering what kind might do well growing among the wisteria. Thank you in advance for your ideas and I apologize for being so wordy.

Rue

Reply to
Rue

I have an arbor with two wisterias on the ne and nw corners and a ponytail palm at the sw corner. I have a Sky vine on the se corner, but I ripped it out because of its invasiveness. It crowded out the wisteria, went up and over my 8' tall viburnum hedge and was clearly planning to eat the neighbor's house.

I planted a Confederate jasmine on that se corner last August, partly for the fragrance, partly because the leaves are pretty even when it's not in bloom, and partly because it looks delicate and I can still see the arbor post. I was concerned that I might not have removed every trace of the Sky vine and that the jasmine would struggle, but it's doing very well and the white flowers look nice with the wisteria hanging behind it.

KC -Zone 10

Reply to
KC

Thank you I was thinking about jasmine but I was worried about either the wisteria which vines so strongly might choke out the jasmine or they just wouldn't get along. Thank you very much for replying. Rue

Reply to
Rue

Well, I keep them in their own corners! The wisteria is much more of a problem than the jasmine. The wisteria, still living in fear of that invasive sky vine, headed in the opposite direction and I find tendrils of it all along the hedges down the property line. I periodically check the other side of the fence (the neighbor's side) to see if it's doing something naughty and rebellious over there. You'll have to keep an eye on it, for sure.

KC

Reply to
KC