What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a darker area of my home, but I don't know much about veggies indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my food - I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple 5 Gal planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have clue if it would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions, carrots, and herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

Reply to
Leythos

Unless you're rich enough to afford the electric bill for thousands of watts worth of lights, there's not much you can grow. That's the only way you'll begin to approach sunlight. A friend of mine grew some pretty weak lettuce indoors, using just window light, but this was in a summer room with windows all around. You might be able to do that with lights.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A large window that faces the sun would be a much better start than a dark area even if you are going to add artificial lighting. Even so you will be up against it as veges and herbs like full sun.

You don't say why you want to grow in the house or what your winter is like so we are in the dark as much as your plants (groan).

If you are thinking of spending money on lamps and the power to run them (not insignificant) you might be better off investing in some sort of small greenhouse on a sunny balcony or spot in the yard. Your climate will determine how elaborate this needs to be or if it will work at all.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

You've a northern exposure? Forget house gardening. Buy an easel and start painting or drawing. Shadows change slowly, if at all, on still life with northern exposures. Oh, you should probably get a beret, while your at it, and an old beat up Volvo. Don't cut off the ear until you're established and in your wormwood phase:-)

Reply to
Billy

Thanks to everyone that replied - I'll just give up, it's not worth the cost at this time.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adfree.Usenet.com:

You could grow herbs. A windowsill with good light will provide most of what you need for most herbs. Get some decorative containers from the thrift store (I use older-type cream pitchers) and pot some up. Basil is pretty reliable and there are lots of different types. My garlic chives are even producing a bloom right now. And I love the miniature thymes because they can go in teeny little pots.

Reply to
FragileWarrior