What to plant in the toilet?

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GrampysGurl) wrote:

Hey I may want to have a toilet planter but I also thought this is a lovely imagery.

I'm a wild pig and I am a wonder! :-)
Jay the pig

It was quite common in the small town where I grew up. All of a sudden, bathtub shrines started to appear in gardens in the mid 1960s. The fancy ones had lamp sockets wired into the drain hole to allow for nighttime illumination.

I visited some friends in Carlsbad NM several years back and the sons of one of the (Catholic)families in all reverence, made a bathtub grotto with statue of Mother Mary. it was quite artistically done and the way it was done was so precisly and artistically done that at first glance, it simply looked like a wall grotto in a Cathlic church. They, too, had recessed lights in it so that it lit the interior and the statue. Leo
wrote in message news:<Tqi0d.974$

I have to give these people credit for adaptive reuse of discarded goods.

About two years ago, a couple local garden centers had in their statuary sections recycled bathroom sinks of various kinds to use as planters or birdbaths. I found this use of vintage sinks appealing, but when I made noises about finding an old sink for the purpose more cheaply from someplace like Cap'n Sam's recycled construction, Granny Artemis said it was just too close to using a toilet as a planter, & she wouldn't have it.
-paghat the ratgirl
wrote in message news:<Tqi0d.974$

It isn't something that I would do either. I have seen old bed frames used as planters - a literal take on "flower bed." I thought that was less objectionable. I have a couple of old bentwood chairs that I should put in the trash, but I have been kicking around the idea planting the seat area with annuals. Sometimes there is a fine line between clever and trailer-trash.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote in message wrote:

When one comes to think of it, a diamond is just a rock, but when cleaned, polished and mounted tastefully, it can be a thing of beauty.. and a good conversation piece. I don't have a big diamond, nor a toilet planter, but I do have, on my coffee table, several pieces of petrified wood, which after 40 years in the garden, I brought in fearing they would continue degrading in the garden.
I suppose there are folks who think I am a little, shall we say "excentric ???" , but that's Ok.. those who know me and know how much I love the creations of Nature, accept them and do admit they are interesting and a good "conversation Piece!" Leo
snipped-for-privacy@1starnet.com (Lee) wrote:

I have rocks around here that I've had since I was ten years old. Until I owned this house, it seemed like for one reason or another I was always moving from one house or apartment to another, & my whole life I've been lugging around big hunks of rocks that have been used as decorations, as terrarium or aquarium decorations, as doorstops, & now as garden ornaments.
And while you may well be eccentric, I don't think it could be from keeping rocks in the garden or on the coffeetable. There is nothing more natural than rocks all about the garden. A very few years ago I stopped at a yard sale & though I didn't find any stuff in the sale items I wanted, I off-handedly asked if the rocks piled up around a tree were for sale. The guy said he hadn't given that any thought, but if I came back some other day when he wasn't busy with a yard sale, he'd consider selling the rocks.
I came back a couple days later & knocked on the door. We walked around his rock pile & he finally said he wanted a hundred dollars for the whole pile. I gasped. He misunderstood my gasp & said, "That's a good price. These were abandoned by one of my tenants, and he ran a rockhound business. That piece of petrified wood right there is probably worth a hundred dollars all by itself." I said I hadn't gasped because I thought it expensive, but because I'd thought I'd only be able to afford a half dozen rocks. I ended up getting two carloads, including a forty pound chunk of jasper, lots of huge pieces of petrified wood, hunks of pink quarts the size of your head, rough streaked marble....super cool rocks.
Some of the smaller specimens now sit all around the house as book-ends & the like, or decorate potted plants & the porch, have been used in gift arrangements of rocks-with-plants I've potted for friends' birthdays, some flat ones made good stepping-stones, & the biggest pieces are all over the garden in attractive display. That was the best deal I ever had on a pile of rocks, & they're ever so much superior to garden statuary or anything artificial.
-paghat the ratgirl

I have no idea what porch geese are?

Oh my, I never knew those were bathtubs.
Jay
Geese = feathered evil
Porch geese = clever way to fool the populace into thinking geese are sweet gentle motherly type birds (as in Mother Goose) Stand one on your front porch and dress it in a "cute" little outfit to match the season or holiday
Shell (who was chased by the geese from hell)

Bog! I love it! Hmmm perhaps I could stick it in my pond instead.
I'm going to have to "ponder" this one.
Jay
Ohhhh... you could put a pump in it ands use it as a waterfall!
wrote: | | >JJ asked "What plant would not only look good in the white comode but also | >have an inside joke or wry wit? " | > | >I would block the outflow pipe and grow Bog plants | | Bog! I love it! Hmmm perhaps I could stick it in my pond instead. | | I'm going to have to "ponder" this one. | | Jay
    >You are ACTUALLY going to put a toilet in your yard?????    >     >Kidding, right?    >*sigh*     >to each his own I guess....    >     >Kate     >     >
    >| JJ asked "What plant would not only look good in the white comode but    >also     >| have an inside joke or wry wit? "    >|     >| I would block the outflow pipe and grow Bog plants    >|     >| --     >| David Hill     >| Abacus nurseries     >| www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk    >|     >|     >|     >|     >     > Actually planting in a toilet is quite fun and neat. I get many many compliments and a lot of conversation about it. I first tried plantine directly, but not real successful so now I webt to a "basket" in bottom and annuals in top... ck it out...
http://home.xnet.com/~renkel/yard.2004/back.main/toilet.very.good.jpg
Will Renkel
You now when I read stuff like this I started to think of living sculpture. Years ago a few folks would mound up soil into a chair, bench or table and plant grass or other hardy ground covers. Was fun!
Bill
--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
Serious Vision Problems? --> http://www.ocutech.com/ Two son's users.

I like this too!
One possibility is a small tree with a toy car smashing into it. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming train." Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (Will Renkel) wrote:

Okay that settles it, now I want a tank. I only have the bowl.
Unh...not to start a political flame war but I am thinking I could also express my personal political view if I had 3 complete toilets, one red, one white and one blue. I could then plants bushs and shrubs in them.
But my yard isn't that big so maybe I can scrounge a tank and a seat that are blue and red and just do one, err, unit.
Jay the Pig
You can get ceramic paint in craft stores. Most require baking to become permanent though. Get some painter's tape to outline your patterns and away you go! ;)
snipped-for-privacy@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) wrote in message

You just HAVE to look at this, in case you think these people are kidding!
Felice
http://home.xnet.com/~renkel/yard.2004/back.main/toilet.very.good.jpg

that is really something! who would'a thunk! however one of my neighbrs.. I only had two neigbors back in 1954<G> had a rather interesting garden including a comode with a quite large prickly pear cactus in the bottom and English Ivey cascading from the top, with a tree in back and shrubs on either side and it was really neat..good conversation piece. I am a bit more conservative, but have to admit it was neat<G> .,and have to admit I found the prickly pear amusing. leo