What to plant

Need some suggestions. I have an area, 8'X12', that I am wanting to use for some kind of garden. I am in the San Bernardino area of So. Cal. Hot, Hot, in the summer, winter is mild, may see a 30-32 deg. once in a while. The spot is on the east side of the house, full sun most of the day. I am thinking a few tall cactus, some other plants that can stand the full summer sun without a lot of water. Needs to be manageable for trimming so it doesn't get out of control for the small space. Your suggestions welcome. Thanks.
--
Paul O.

Iceplant (sedums). There are several varieties and colors.
Thanks Phiserman, I will check some of those out.
--
Paul O.