What to do with tons of sweet green peppers

Page 1 of 2
Hey all,
I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I will be able to enjoy in the coming months.
I would assume they don't freeze well.
Any suggestions?
Thanks very much in advance.
--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Are you talking about Bell Peppers? Bell Peppers freeze quite well. Cut the cap off, core them out and removed the seeds. Then freeze them whole.
Great for winter stir frys and sausage dogs.
Toonartist wrote:

Go over to rec.food.preserving, and ask for George.
(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched, and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)
Best regards, Bob

Dried as in dehydrate?
Craig Watts wrote:

Yes. And it's amazing how much the shrink.
Bob
Toonartist wrote:

I wash them, cut them into slices, and freeze them on trays. Then I transfer them to freezer bags. You can pack many into a small space this way. I mostly use them in cooking.
If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and sweet pepper relish.
EV

Me too.

Care to share your recipe?
StanB wrote:

I'm happy to share the recipe. This is what we use, instead of the store bought stuff. A double batch is enough for us, and for gift giving, until the green tomatoes roll in again.
The recipe is from a cookbook first published in 1963: Freezing & Canning COOKBOOK Revised Edition: Prized Recipes from the Farms of America by the Food Editors of Farm Journal ISBN:0-385-00487-7
GREEN TOMATO/PEPPER RELISH Makes 12 pints according to the book, but I only ever get about 6 pints out of the recipe.
1 gallon green tomatoes 2 medium onions 4 large (sweet) green peppers 2 large (sweet) red peppers 1/2 Cup salt 1 tsp mixed pickling spices 3 Cups vinegar 1 Cup water 2 Cups sugar
* Wash, chop and mix vegetables, peeling onions and discarding pepper seeds. Add salt and let stand for several hours or overnight. Drain liquid and discard. * Tie spices in clean cheescloth; combine all ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes * Remove bag of spices. Ladle boiling hot mixture into hot jars; adjust lids at once. *Process in boiling water bath (212F) 10 minutes.
NOTES: - You can use all green peppers, if your peppers are sweet. I think the red is just for colour. - When I'm in a hurry, or making a double batch, I chop all the ingredients in a food processor - When short on time, I've frozen the vegetables, either whole or chopped, then thawed them and made the relish as per usual. Doesn't seem to affect the taste or texture - The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect today's canning standards ------------
I haven't tried this recipe, but since it was on the facing page, and the orginal poster had a bumper crop of peppers ... and I was typing anyway ....
PEPPER RELISH - makes 6 pints According to the book, all pepper relishes are best served within six months after being canned
12 sweet green peppers 12 sweet red peppers 12 small onions, peeled Boiling water 3 Cups vinegar 1.5 Cups sugar 4 tsp salt 2 tsp celery salt
* Put peppers, seeds discarded, and onions, through food chopper. Add voiling water to cover; let stand 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Add remaining ingredients to vegetables. Boil slowly for 15 minutes. *Ladle into hot jars. Adjust lids at once. Process in boiling water bath (212F) for 10 minutes.
NOTE: The recipe is old, so I've changed the boiling water bath time to reflect today's canning standards - I suppose you could use all green peppers if that's what you have
Enjoy, EV
Thx.
wrote in message

Who cares!
wrote in message

tomato
chopped,
the
Relish was our favorite thing. Many recipes but the most colorful and palatable call for a mix of green and red peppers (bell). Delicious!
Mike

I have cut them the tops off, strips and small cubes. Cleaned out the inners and frozen them in bags with great sucess. The halves are perfect for stuffed peppers. The rest goes for scrambled eggs and peppers or Italian Sausage with pepper strips. Not so hot in stirfry if you like them crispy.
BetsyB

BetsyB wrote:

Last year, I diced, blanched, and dehydrated mine. (They took Reserve Champion at the county fair this year) A couple of grocery bags full of green peppers will make about a pint and a half of dehydrated peppers.
Best regards, Bob
Green peppers can be the basis of a spectacularly good hamburger relish that can be canned & kept for years, or even in the refrigerator for months.
Cut the peppers into long thin strips. To make the eventual relish more colorful, add in a few red, orange, & yellow peppers. Also cube or cut into long pieces a mess of sweet onions. Fry at a high temperature in lots of olive oil, adding fresh ground black pepper & a few mashed garlic cloves, cooked until the green peppers & onions are transluscent with just a touch of blackened edges. A hell of a lot of peppers & onions will melt down into a gallon of oil-preserved relish that just about never spoils.
Variations can be done on this adding garden sedums (Sedum rupestris, S. oreganum, S. acre all make nice components of a relish), purple passionflower maypop skins that aren't good for much else but are a good substitute for green tomatoes in a relish, & some finely cut up garden herbs (fresh basil &/or oregano, small amounts of beebalm & licorice hyssop, or finely cut up celery). But even with just sweet peppers, sweet onions, & ground black pepper & garlic fried in olive oil it's a pretty rich clean good flavor requiring no further tinkering unless for fun & experimentation.
I use such homemade relishes on tofu hotdogs & gardenburgers since i'm vegetarian.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
We had peppers in stir fry yesterday (cut up peppers, onions, and zucchini with basil and a little olive oil). If you have a dehydrator, they can be dried for later use in numerous dishes, including pizza. We have been giving peppers away to family and friends and still have more!
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:15:14 -0400, "Toonartist"

Got a food bank/soup kitchen?

Anyone
Green pepper jelly - great with a little cream cheese on a cracker and an excellent holiday gift item.
http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALRecipes.asp?Rp
Only one of hundreds of recipes available through a Google search.
pam - gardengal
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:15:14 -0400, "Toonartist"

You can char and de-skin them and freeze. Big PITA, but lovely to have on hand. I use in pasta salad with shrimp.

Anyone
Eat them.
who cares about healthy food!
give me maccas any day!