What to do with dead squirrel?

Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree. The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead, but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80 degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency? Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

In the trash with it. And, get a roll of chicken wire. Lay pieces on the ground over your seeds, slightly arched, and weighted down at the edges with bricks. Works like a charm.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sanity

Plastic bag in trash or bury it. Worst thing you can do is let it sit out where flies will get at it, lay eggs and maggots will cause a stink. My lot is big enough that I just throw in brush and let foxes or crows eat it but there is always smell potential.

Reply to
Frank

Wondering if you ever soaked the cut up parts in brine first ? We did this with rabbit.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Got a neighbor you don't like?

Reply to
SteveB

John McGaw

...only in California....

Reply to
Marshall Tucker

Reply to
dr-solo

I use them in Brunswick stew.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

:

Vermin that get in my garden ususally become fertilizer for the garden if I catch them. I just pitch them in the compost heap. Ive never noticed any odor from it .

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Mmmmmmm, GUMBO!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

JOE! I've missed you big guy. Nice of you to pop in :)

Val

Reply to
Val

Famous last words!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Standard chicken wire doesn't hold 'em back. You need the heavy electro welded square mesh stuff to do the job.

Reply to
clare

Scavengers, not predators. Predators want to KILL their meal.

Reply to
clare

Most sanitary solution in suburbia would be to throw it on the burn pile. If you dont have a burn pile then bury it under a tree you would like to see grow faster. Or just throw the damn thing in the garbage.

Reply to
RickH

Oh sure, call 911 and I'm sure a crack squirrel disposal team will be knocking on your door within minutes.

Sautee with a little garlic and seasoning. Serve on a bed of rice with a little garnish.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Uh, don't you have to skin and clean it first? I hate picking fur out of my teeth.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's called hardware cloth.