What to do with cherry tomatoes

Back in the spring, I discovered that what I thought was a normal-size orange tomato plant was in fact an orange *cherry* tomato. I loath & despise cherry tomatoes, and have just been giving them away to more tolerant neighbors and co-workers.

But while washing off the newly-ripened tomatoes this evening, I popped one in my mouth. It was the best-tasting tomato I've ever had,

*very* sweet balanced with a delicate spiciness, meaty & with very few seeds. Needless to say, I'm hording the rest of my crop.

Eating them by the handful is quite satisfactory, but I'm wondering what else I can do with them that doesn't overwhelm that delicate sweetness. Even a salad seems too heavy-handed. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jacqueline Cahoon

Jacqueline,

I planted two Sweet 100's and a Grape that have all flourished. I've given so many away, people now run whenever they see me with a basket in hand. I'm thinking of trying to dry some so that I can at least save them for later.

To your question.............

I have two pasta dishes, (One hot & mild and one cold& spicy) where Grape or Cherry Tomatoes are the centerpiece flavor-wise that I'd be happy to share.

If your interested, email me off-line (since this is a Garden forum and not a Recipe forum) and I'll send'em on over.

Keith

kill the "spamhater" in my address and messages will find their way home.

Reply to
Keith Warren

Do you have a husband? Is his name Geoff?

Reply to
Travis

Cherry tomatoes are GREAT as a garnish for Ceasars or Bloody Marys.

In Vino Veritas

Reply to
Mathew in the Mountains

I find the sweetness of cherry tomatoes works really well in a tabouleh. Chop loads of them in half (or even quarters if you can be bothered) and add to wholegrain couscous (just as it is - not soaked). Add lots of chopped flat-leaf parsley, some mint, chopped red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, salt. Leave to stand, and the juice from the tomatoes and lemons will soften the couscous.

Reply to
Ornata

I make Baba Ganush and spread it warm onto Wasa Crackers, topped with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and halved cherry tomatoes. Actually, I grow grape tomatoes. The mockingbirds and cardinals have their own plants and it is great fun watching them fight over them and try to feed them to their fledgelings.

Victoria

Reply to
Bourne Identity