what to do with canas when..

they are spent? some of the leaves are still green a bit but mostly yellow and rust. I used to know, I've grown them for years,but i can't remember if i cut them all the way back or what. I sure do want them to bloom again next summer. thanks... Lee/leona

If you are in zone 7 or higher, then you can cut them off and leave them in the ground. In zone 6 or lower you need to lift them and store them in an area that doesn't get below 45 degrees. I put them in plastic lined boxes leaving the top free of plastic, put on the lid, and then store in my basement.
thanks! I knew i left them in the ground, (zone 7, NE TX) but that's all i remembered! sometimes these bits of info come back, but sure gets slow in coming sometimes! thanks!--lee

No problem. They are marginal in zone 6. I see some people around here who leave them in the ground, but that never has worked for me. While traveling in North Carolina and eastern Tennessee a few years ago, I noticed mass planting of cannas in the median on the interstates. It was a beautiful touch, and I'm sure they didn't lift those rhizomes as it would have been a monumental job.
What varieties do you have?
I am in zone five and my canas is still in the ground and is blooming when should I pull them out. It is dropping below 40 F at night now Thanks

You can do it anytime from now until the ground freezes. Most people do it after the frost has turned them black. In my zone 6 garden that comes in mid November but can be as early as late October.
I'm in the High Mojave Desert and can leave my canna rhizomes in the ground and they keep on growing more and bigger rhizomes, This gives me more canna in the spring.
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna

Telescope Buyers FAQ