What to do with all the leaves?

Indeed. I think that we can assume that electricity will always be available.....

Reply to
~misfit~

Electricity is not always available. Where I live, Southern California Edison can fail at any time of the year. We do not get snow, so that is not a cause of failure. While high air conditioning usage might cause a failure in the summer, it does not explain failures in the winter since most homes here have natural gas for heat. I think the main cause of failure might be a lack of preventive maintenance by SoCalEd on its distribution system. Thankfully, we have mild winters and -- for the summer -- lots of shade trees.

Reply to
David E. Ross

David is much more virtuous than I re: leaves. (We garden on opposite sides of the same mountain in So Calif, but different micro-climates.)

I don't have many deciduous trees, so am not bothered much by shedding and don't have enough leaves to bother composting like I used to do -- kitchen scraps and all. Now I turn it all over to the City, which rewards us with quarterly compost giveaways.

The cosmetic aspect is what bugs me, frivolous though it may be. I don't l ike my careful garden plots cluttered with yellowing leaf litter. Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And repeat. How high will th is plateau eventually rise? Stay tuned

HB

we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different micro

-climates.)

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

We have known that for ages.

re: leaves. (We garden on opposite

I reckon it is my organic matter and I see no reason to give it away to the authorities.

Compost first and this will not be a problem.

Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And

Not this David, we are a continent apart.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

On 12/9/2014 1:10 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:

Hypatia has confused you with me.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Ahh. OK. I live in a civilised country and the electricity is supplied

99.999% of the time.

Mea culpa. I guess that's what you get when you assume that everyone else on usenet is in the same country as you .

Reply to
~misfit~

Apparently nominative determinism isn't working for her then.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

No I haven't!! It should have been quite clear that gardening in So. Cal. is NOT gardening in OZ. Besides David Ross is always a perfect gentleman.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon