What to do if you did spread raw manure in your garden

Hello all,

I come to you as I have a problem. I tried to do good but I have done wrong. I did spread raw horse manure on my garden. This include the flower beds, lawn, the shrubs and even dig some onto the brown patches of my lawn.

To make things worse the manure was mixed with saw wood which, if I understand right, will deplete nitrogen out of the soil.

By reading the internet, I quickly realized that I did wrong. Last saturday I tried to brush off as much of the saw wood I could, I have removed manually a large chunk of the manure.

I did not spread too much of it in the first place, may be 6 kilos over

80 square meter and I have certainly already removed one third of it.

This week-end, I will continue trying to remove as much of the saw wood and of the manure I can.

However, what signs should I be watching? Is there really reasons to be alarmed? If yes, what can I do to correct the situation?

thank you so much for your help - it is my first year in the garden and I am disappointed to have done such a mistake ...

Reply to
blue_sky_london

I smell horse shit.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Don't worry about the saw dust and wood chip, just fish emulsion every 2 weeks.

Reply to
Billy

No you haven't

Not necessarily

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What terrible fate will befall you?

What a waste of time.

Don't bother

You are fussing about nothing. No horrid thing will happen to you. I suspect this is a leg-pull, I wonder is anybody could be really this stupid.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Billy means on your head, your head needs to smell fishy like your post.

David Hare-Scott

And so comes the end of "wrecked garden"s last arbiter of respectability and decorum has hung up his scales of justice, and proceeds to wrap his roll of dimes with tape. You need to relax David, do something fun. How's about we set this guy on fire?

Reply to
Billy

I wish to notify everyone that the position of peacemaker, and arbiter of decorum, and good taste has just become vacant due to the unexpected and impetuous retirement of David of Hare-Scott from his duties. Those wishing to apply for the official position of "Pollyanna" may now stat auditioning for the part.

You really need to relax, and loosen up, David. Wot say we set this gent on fire? That should be good for a giggle ;O)

Reply to
Billy

You are entitled to 1-1/2 mistakes before being brought up on charges

But seriously -- raw horse manure is a no-no. You should try to get hold of well-rotted manure. Chicken manure is great, too, but it is very "sharp" in its raw state, so it too needs to be well-rotted (aged).

Go thou and read up on-line or hard copy, whatever source you prefer, about the uses and abuses of manure.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Fresh manure may contain pathogens. You can use it immediately, but be advised not to splash it on what you are going to eat within the next 3 months. Farm1 has more experience with this than I, and hopefully she will be along in short order to give you her take on the subject.

Wait, oh, I see, there is some doubt as to the veracity of your post. You are a suspected of being a "wrecked garden" poster terrorist. Please stay at your computer while we divert a drone to your address.

Water often, and deeply, I always say. Say, what's that over there?

Reply to
Billy

I was thinking bull, but have it your way. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

My question was actually not if it was a bad idea, I know this by now, but what can I do to correct the situation. Any idea anybody ?

Reply to
blue_sky_london

teaspoon, cup, patience.

David Hare-Scott

blue_sky_london wrote: > Hello all,

Plant tomatoes and don't worry about it. Maybe wait a year before planting potatoes or lettuce.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

you didn't apply enough to smother anything. the rains will wash it in. water it in if you want if it hasn't rained already. if any large clumps remain afterwards break them up and spread them around.

don't lick the grass for a few months.

all will be fine.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

"blue_sky_london" wrote in message news:blue_sky snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

There is no need to correct the situation except in the case where the horse poop may have came from a source where it had that herbicide in it (amalidpro???? can't remeber what it was called but I'm sure some other poster will). If you aren't concerned about that herbicde, then enjoy it. Horse poo is great stuff and I use it just as it comes from the horse and have done for years.

Reply to
Farm1

Aminopyralid is an herbicide that may have made its way into some manure destined for home gardens and may have resulted in inferior produce.

Reply to
Billy