What the holy mother of hell is this?

Found it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case? Or a parasitic plant? Or an advance scout for an alien invasion force?
I could get better pictures of it with my digital camera tommorrow, if necessary (these were from my flatbed scanner).
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit3.jpg
Update-- here's a newer pic:
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit4.jpg
Found it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case? Or a parasitic plant? Or an advance scout for an alien invasion force?
I could get better pictures of it with my digital camera tommorrow, if necessary (these were from my flatbed scanner).
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit3.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says...

Appears to be vegetable (rather than animal) in nature. Beyond that, I have no clue.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:35:22 -0400, Darren Garrison
I posted your message to a professor friend, Here is his reply:
Good to hear from you. I hope you didn't touch this thing. If you did, you better check your crotch in the next few days. You may have something growing there! NO--- I'm just joking. The organism in the photograph is the cedar-apple rust. It's a fungal parasite of both apple trees and cedar trees. It is a very exotic looking beast when it grows on the cedar tree.
Here are a couple websites that show similar photos with an explanation of the life cycle.
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may99.html http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/factSheets/Apple / Cedar%20Apple%20Rust.asp http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/cedar-applerust/cedar - applerust.htm
You may have to cut and paste to get the entire address into your browser. And I hope this helps, because I'm only serving as the middle man. I have no personal knowledge of this thing

Those are cedar apple rust fruits, it's a fungus that forms on cedars. Very strange little things, aren't they??!?
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

pshaawww, don't let her fool you.
those are clearly the newly shed exoskeletons of the land dwelling octopus: octopus squirrelbraineatingerensis
here is some more info on land dwelling octopi
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html

Well of course they are, how could I have been so dense? ;->
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

You should market those. The perfect solution to squirrels in the garden. You'd make $millions.
-
theoneflasehaddock

Or a parasitic plant? Or an

necessary (these were from my

I thought it was a Cthulhu turd.
-paghat the ratgirl
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:46:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote:

Good thing he's sleeping.
Swyck
Ann wrote:

I want one! I could really scare the hell out of my husband with that!!! ;-)
Callen in VA
Callen Molenda wrote:

Marketing Opportunity!
Look for them on EBAY.
(watch for nationwide Cedar Rust epidemic later this year)
thanks ann...............i cannot believe the things i learn in here!
--
rosie
http://www.moveon.org/front /