What the heck is this monster?

A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while on a bike ride. This is scary.
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tpP4637
FragileWarrior wrote:

I doubt it's cactus... I'd say it's a bromeliad. Could even be a doctored picture. I don't feel like spending my time searching right now but I found this: http://www.mrbig.com/cpg/displayimage.php?albums&pos
I thought it looked just like the yucca I have almost ready to bloom in my front yard.
--

BetsyB

"Sheldon" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
FragileWarrior wrote:

Its a century plant, or Maguey.
--
Grandpa

Thank you.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored photo. :)
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:55:48 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Unfortunately, this form of agave will die after flowering. It does leave what are called pups, which can be cut from the mother plant and replanted after the mother plant is removed.
Here are a few more photos. One has a human in it for scale: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tpP4651

Ayup, like the first picture says, it's a Bit Mutha Cactus! <G>
I like the way they clipped the ends off so pedestrians didn't impale themselves on it, good thinking! ;->
(and yes, I realize it's an agave, but when I saw that caption I LOLd!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I saw it in the other group. Awesome thing isn't it?
Michael
--
Due to recent cutbacks - The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned
off.

It's really cool. I want one. But I want one that eats little kids.
FragileWarrior wrote:

Then get two or three, and space them about 10 feet apart. They are a southwest desert plant (notice the Arizona license plate?). If you get them from the same mother plant, they usually bloom the same year. That makes an impressive display.
--
Grandpa

I have a bunch of these and they are starting to grow and do their thing now. I got them all from the same mother, so will have that awesome display.
jangchub wrote:

<envy> Please post some pictures when they bloom. Mine are going to be at least a decade away.
--
Grandpa

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:27:04 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

We had some in Hawaii that would. Very sharp points, and recurved spikes along the edges of the leaves. Not something to get tangled up in.