What's turning the grass black

Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a fruiting structure, but it is black, not brown. No frost yet

Cheryl (southern NH)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Here's a link to your state's cooperative extension service. The 6th link looks promising. If not, I'd give them a call. One of their functions is to assist homeowners with questions like yours. And, they'll be more familiar with local disease issues than probably any other source.

page:

JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks ;) Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

If it looks like tiny balls/dots of black on the surface of the blades, maybe affecting a small patch 6-12 inches wide, then it is probably slime mold. Slime molds are not pathogenic to the grass, it just looks ugly. It'll just go away when it gets drier, but it will come back in the future. No control measure is needed. You could just hose it off.

-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Reply to
Alan Sung

Charlie expounded:

See, Charlie? Sometimes the jerks just piss you off so much you can't hold back - not that you should, mind you!

Reply to
Ann

Did I tell you guys about the woman at the feed store last winter? I was picking up a bag of bird seed and this woman was screaming at the clerk/owner that they were a bunch of racists for having "niger seed" for the birds. ... ( btw, she was pale of complexion).

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Idiots amongst us - and they breed!

Reply to
Ann

The worst part - I could make a fairly educated guess to her "vehicle", since I recognized the usual suspects in the lot (yup - I'm there a lot) and it was covered with "if you can read this, thank a teacher" and the like bumper stickers.

Some people should stay in the city...... C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Yeah, I know, Ann, though chances of kanter seeing my post is nil, since I trimmed the followup and it wasn't going back to the originating group either.

The reason I posted was to alert the more cluelss amongst us to pay attention to to where their post would land and to get a clue about the OP.

Reply to
Charlie

AMEN!!

Reply to
raeannsimpson

militant black guy (a bit of a piss take)

?v=LK4Q2fTejL4rob

Reply to
George.com

A slimeball of the worst kind. Racist and impersonating someone else.

Reply to
Calif Bill

There is a difference between the erroneous outrage of the woman in the feed store and the demented stereotypes of your videos, rob. The former was out of ethnic concern, the later is tribal mockery. You are an embarrassment to humanity and a waste of space.

Reply to
Billy

I love the wine shop scene in the second one

Reply to
sf

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

maybe so Billy, maybe so. The lady in the feed store may have been genuinely mistaken. The videos of the militant black guy were a deliberate set up, tribal mockery as you called it, whatever that is. You are free to find that stuff embarrasing or a waste of space if you choose. To me it is a piss take of extreme racial intolerence or sensitivity or affirmative action. It could also simply be a guy trying to take the piss out of people. I myself don't view it too seriously.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I'm sorry, I don't quite catch your banter. Two people separated by a common language, and all that. What I do know is that many of us are defined by the media. Women are supposed to be thin and young, blacks are supposed to be hip and promiscuous, Native Americans are stoic and wise, and white men are balding children with pot bellies. The media holds up examples of who we are, and too many people believe it. Malcolm X, Martin Luthur King Jr., and Bill Cosby would not find "The Militant Black Guy" funny. If you are not a person of color, I would put that shit away and don't offer it again. It is offensive.

Reply to
Billy

sure, different people will react to it different ways. I disected that a little (disjointedly) last night and came out with the following.

I think the 'militant black guy' is just out to take the piss rather than make any social commentry. Some things piss me off, some things I take seriously, some things I just like a good laugh over. To me it often depends on the intent that things are given/provided.

With the MBG, some people may ascribe to him a crusade against the extremes of affirmative action of political correctness (though the two are not necessarily the same and the term PC I think is often used in a lazy and ignorant fashion by people who simply want to complain). They may see the MBG taking affirmative action to an extreme, and then hold it up as an example to argue against affirmative action or claim how 'the white man is now victimised', 'blacks and hispanics etc are priveliged' etc etc. Some people may think that way, as warped as such thinking may be. That some guy play acts militant affirmative action does not take away the matter that some level of AA is still desirable and that we live, to a more or less extent though changing, societies still founded on european paternalism. Societies still have a bias toward male and white and asset rich. Things are changing, and some of the institutions my white grandfather depended on have gone. I however am priveliged by being white and male and middle class.

The MBG may be parodying (playing on) 'white guilt' or 'oversensitivity'. To some extent there is an over reaction to being white and male. I need not carry guilt around with me, nor do I need to be as politically sensitive as I may be. That being, some people who cry disadvantage and denial need to harden up and realise the world doesn't owe them a living. There are opportunities around for them to avail themselves of. On the other hand, there are things that the 'white race' needs to take responsibility for and make amends for. There is a balance to be found.

Some people may think that the MBG cheapens the memory of the Malcolm Xs & Martin Luthers. Arguably, if to a lesser entent perhaps, he may cheapen the 'poor white folk' he goes out to bugger up. I personally don't think he sets out to do that. Therefore, if there is any by product of that nature I account for it and try to interpret his true motives. I see humour quite often as humour for the sake of humour. It can be political and I understand and appreciate that. On another level it can also be straight amusing and I understand and appreciate that as well.

rob

Reply to
George.com