What's this weed?

Every year this crops up in my flower beds and I let some of it be. I like the balloon pods/whatever and the flowers are pretty. It's easy enough to pull out if it starts to take over.
http://tinypic.com/r/70bach/6
I'm curious what it is, does anyone know? Thanks. I imagine it's something common.
nancy

Hibiscus trionum

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

On 30/08/2012 11:46, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I'd wondered what it was. Why is it not grown more as a (half-hardy?) annual in the UK? In fact, I don't remember ever seeing it in a garden here. Might make a good display in a cottage garden.
--

Jeff

Powis Castle used to have it. (I haven't been there for a few years.) I've also seen it as a greenhouse plant at Threave Gardens.
I've grown it as well. I've even had a spontaneous seedling come up once, not the next year after growing it, but the year after that.
Hibiscus trionum is a species complex. A recent paper divides the Australasian populations into three species. FWIW, I reckon that there's at least one more species in the group, and possibly more.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

On 8/30/2012 9:34 AM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Please excuse me for accidentally emailing you my thanks. My browser snuck in a very unhelpful update and when I click reply, it didn't reply here.
nancy