what's this herb?

Page 2 of 2

I didn't remember the photo that well, but the needles looked too long for Rosemary. But, I trust you would know what it is. My Rosemary is humongous and fragrant. We grow Rosemary here as foundation plantings. There are so many forms, it's a great plant.
snipped-for-privacy@sakajawa.org expounded:

I've seen them down south, so full and wonderful, I'm jealous!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Many moons ago, my DH in a long term training class in Cambridge England and I went to visit for his last two weeks of the course. The Cambridge Botanical Gardens were only a short walk (ok most of Cambridge was a short walk) from the hotel and I spent many hours exploring them. But my favorite spot was a bench in the midst of rosemary hedge that even in the dull winter sun smelled heavenly.
Cheryl

Well, I can't grow an azaela or rhodie. It's a trade off. We have hot hot hot summers which last for six months, then it's cold when it's 65 degrees, then bang, hot again. The summer is when I hybernate and winter is when I'm out around and about.

No, I did it to annoy anal-punctuation-retentives. Thanks for letting me know it worked.

The owner of the plant says it IS -- even simpler.

Does not say any such thing, not in any of the three posts to this thread... in fact the OP hasn't a clue what it is, that's why the first post... you're yet another liar.
In fact the OP says he/she had a rosemary plant previously but got rid of it... only a comatose imbecile wouldn't know if the present plant isn't rosemary too, that's why I asked about tasting it... actually all the OP needed to do to confirm is sniff. No one who's had rosemary previously would ask what that plant is if it's rosemary, the aroma is unmistakeable.
I don't know what that plant is (I never said what it is, I don't think it's possible to say with certainty from that picture, all anyone can do is offer wild speculation) but I've no doubt whatsoever that this Fragile one needs to change names to FreakingSmarmier.
But yes, it looks exactly like that (without the flowers).
Many thanks!
Derek
On Sep 18, 10:43?am, FragileWarrior

You have no comprehension. He knew what it looked like before he posted the picture (DUH) oh FreakingSmarmier... you have the intellect of a worm. "Looks like" and IS are not synonymous. We all know what it looks like, no one here knows what it IS. Your big head and your small head obviously possess the same IQ, FreakingPutz. LOL

He was thanking me for the photo link I posted and saying that that was what his herb looked like. You really need to learn how to read what is there as well as what is NOT there.

And you have the wit, the style, the grace and the rotting odor of a dead slug.

Why do you think he thanked me and went away, o' amazingly st00pid, Sheldon?
FragileWarrior

Looked like... try reading again, this time more slowly and try not moving your lips... looked like. duh Actually his picture looked very liitle like the one you lifted off the net.
Now you've switched to top posting in a feeble attempt to addle, oh SMARMIER.

Jesus wept. You're quite insane.

Nah, he's not that good.
Janet
contains these

I apologize to dead slugs everywhere.

No, he (Derek) did not say that.

That's obvious. Also, you don't know how to read post attributions.
Janet.
If it's the plant with the lighter-green leaves in the photo, I'd say it looks like a Lemon Verbena my mother once had in her garden in the SF Bay Area. Is the lovely fragrance at all lemony, perchance? ;-] What is your coldest average winter temperature? Lemon Verbena is not terribly cold-hardy -- so if you get a lot of temps. below 25 deg. F, that's probably not it. Good luck in your search!
Happy trails....
Sue Beautiful Butte County, CA USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 7
===========>I have a herb growing in my garden and I haven't a clue what it is

Lemon verbena has wider leaves. See for example: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/279 / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_verbena
But yes, the fragrance would make it easy to detect this one (or at least narrow it down, as there are other lemony herbs).
My own lemon verbena (Washington, DC, zone 7) was indoors last winter and didn't like it so much (kept some leaves all winter but lost plenty). It has grown nicely into a small shrub this summer (planted in the ground outdoors). I had been thinking of bringing it indoors, but now that I do some reading it seems like I might be just as likely to kill it that way as by leaving it in the ground (with mulch). In zone 7, it is expected to die back to the ground but has a decent shot of surviving (although it will come back late in the spring if it does). If the climate were colder than this, the recommendation would be to bring it indoors or just grow it as an annual.
Thanks for the reference photos, Jim -- but I stand by my statement that the plant in Derek's photo looks like my mother's Lemon Verbena. I grow Lemon Verbena here, and the leaves on mine are a tad darker in color and a bit wider than Derek's -- but we all know how variable the plant kingdom can be! ;-]
There's also a possibility, as I look again at the growth habit of Derek's shrub, that it could be California Laurel (aka Myrtlewood in Oregon) -- Umbellularia californica. There are several plants in my yard that get lanky like that when they don't get quite enough sun, and I find the leaves to be intoxicatingly fragrant! An almost cinnamon-y Lemon Verbena, to my nose -- close to Ceylon Cinnamon, if you're familiar with that. But I digress... I love playing Name That Plant, and hope Derek finds out what his plant is -- and reports back. I'm intrigued now!
Happy trails....
Sue Beautiful Butte County, CA USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 7

Oh, he figured that out (or gave up) long ago. I don't know if you noticed how long this thread is.
I just wanted an excuse to talk about lemon verbena...

And you have it - but the plant in the photo most definitely isn't lemon verbena. Since the OP is now happy in the knowledge it's rosemary, maybe this thread will totally morph into a lemon verbena thread :o)