What's this "grassy weed" (photo link)

Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and sticks up noticable in a couple of days.
Photos at:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/weed.html
I'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.
Thanks guys,
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
It has been a major pest for me this year, I've heard it called Nut grass, or Coco grass. It is awful. I hope you get some replies with some solutions. I think ours came here with some sand I had delivered when we built our house. I pull that stuff constantly and it never seems like I make a dent. Perry

Looks like nutsedge, a devil to eradicate. Lots of online sites can give details on how to remove, but this is a particularly good one. Look for a nutsedge specific herbicide marketed under the tradename 'Manage'.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4010.html
pam - gardengal

This weed has been popping up in my flower beds for the last few years. So far it hasn't been a problem in the lawn. I just make sure I pull it out before it sets seeds. I have been able to slowly reduce the amount that way.
Also called sedge. I keep pulling it up all the time in my flower beds. By the way, the little nuts at the roots are edible. Native Americans relied on them for food.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:02:33 GMT, "Gloria Lenon"

If it's purple Cyperus rotundus, it is introduced and on numerous invasive plant lists. It's medicinal use if vastly over rated when compared to it's agricultural and horticultural costs/damage.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:27:06 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
:) Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy :) weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this :) stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and :) sticks up noticable in a couple of days.
It's nutsedge. In the Dallas area when it is taking over the lawns a product called Image is recommended. It may be the same active indgrediant as what is in Manage, I'm not sure. Image is a growth retardent that works well on nutsedge after a couple of applications. It will effect the look of the lawn grass, but where the nutsedge dies out the lawn grass doesn't. Be sure to check with your area nursery people to see how any product may effect the specific type of lawn grass you may have.
Lar
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

If you have purple nutsedge ( deep south) image is definitely your product. If you have yellow nutsedge (further north) manage is your product
Neither are a very quick fix and both can produce significant damage (yellowing) during the hot season. Early spring treatments and fall before dormancy are less damaging. Unfortunately the "nuts", up to 18" deep, help this noxious difficult to control weed thrive. Years of treatments on infested imported soil have still not eliminated the problem here.