What Plant is this and can i cut it back

hi im new to the forum,and i have decided to post a question regarding a plant that is in my garden,can anyone tell me A..what plant/bush it is B..can i cut it back/will it grow back
if there is anyone out there with the same bush/plant i would be happy for the information,and what to do about it,it flowers pink and white,but this year has flowered very early due to the hot april/may we have had
dave
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: photo.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 162| |Filename: photo (2).JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 163| |Filename: photo (1).JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 164| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
hiphopnrap

Variegated Weigela

Yes you can/yes it will.
FarmI;925533 Wrote:

thank you so much,i live in the uk,and no one could give me an answer,you was spot on,can you tell me how much i can cut it back,sort of new to doing things like this and i dont want to kill it,how much will it grow in ayear,will it take awhile to get back to full height,
hiphopnrap

I've cut mine right to 4 inches above the ground. It still comes right back. Think about what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want it slightly smaller, or a lot smaller.
Normal pruning is to remove old growth and crossing branches.
They send out new growth that reaches about a meter in a year.
--
Dan Espen

I'm in Australia so not at all familiar with the UK's pruning habits, but I'd say that if you cut it back by about a third, you should be safe. Plants tend to put on really leggy succulent growth if cut back too hard and you might not want that sort of look. Generally, the time to prune shrubs is after they have flowered.
hiphopnrap;925503 Wrote:

Hi Dave, its a shrub called Weigela florida variegata, its very hardy and can be pruned after flowering and then current seasons growth may be trimmed again in August. Lannerman
lannerman