What odd, interesting things have you dug up while gardening?

Page 1 of 3
Somewhat off topic I know, still????
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:39:46 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
You mean like cat poop?
Charles wrote:

Only if its fossilized smilodon poop!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:39:46 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

We found a gas cooker complete with oven trays and something very old and icky inside, buried about a foot down on it's side at the bottom of our garden when we decided to clear it for a veg patch!

lotsa toys, broken window panes, asbestos from construction junk, car parts (small), abandoned drains elec conduit,,,,,
can't remember anything interesting.
Jimmy Hoffa.
Best regards, ;-) Bob

Hang on - I thought *I* had Hoffa! Did youse find a large, tasteless gold chain around his neck?

Indian arrowhead. Old bottles frm 1800s. Old rusty pipe joint.

Back in NY:
I found an Indian pendant stone. My house was on a well known portage route between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario along the Niagara gorge.
Clay marbles, too, and a small leg from a porcelain doll.
And a complete brick pathway which ran from the house through the backyard for 90' or so...
Here in Indiana:
Medicine bottles. Apparently a doctor had a house/office nearby and he used what is now the horse pasture and our backyard as a dumping ground. My draft horse generally destroys the bottles that pop up in the pasture but not always -- sometimes I get one out intact.

Keep watch. Maybe something of great value comes up. Some old bottles have good value.

My horse recently demolished a medicine bottle of lovely lavender colored, clear glass. I suspect that one might have had some value.
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:39:46 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
Marbles, lots of them, antiques. The house I bought was in one family for 40+ years. They raised four boys here. When I began renovating the house I found tons of marbles in the walls and began collecting them.
Then when I started my garden, more marbles. For years I would find them whereever I dug. I think that I must have found most of them by now as I don't run into them very often anymore.
Based on eBay prices I expect that I have 1 $1,000+ in marbles now.
John

a 1953 thruppence and heaps of old rusty nails.
rob

someone really lost a lot of their marbles.

Jimmy Hoffa
On 1/11/07 9:39 PM, in article SxCph.137$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net,

Horseshoes, cow bell.....

Mainly I discover little toys and playthings my son Tristan tucked in everywhere, especially during his days of playing with those little green plastic soldiers. I get a really wistful feeling these days when I come upon one of his secret forts secreted under a hedge somewhere.
Then there's the occasional long-lost garden implement. I'm still holding out hope of rediscovering an old Bulldog trowel that I've never quite found a satisfying replacement for.
--

Wundern kann es mich night, das unser Herr Christus mit Dernen
Gern und mit Sndern gelebt, geht's mir doch eben auch so.
Mainly I discover little toys and playthings my son Tristan tucked in everywhere, especially during his days of playing with those little green plastic soldiers. I get a really wistful feeling these days whe
I come upon one of his secret forts secreted under a hedge somewhere.
Then there's the occasional long-lost garden implement. I'm still holding out hope of rediscovering an old Bulldog trowel that I've neve
quite found a satisfying replacement for.
--

Wundern kann es mich night, das unser Herr Christus mit Dernen
Gern und mit Sndern gelebt, geht's mir doch eben auch so.
Being that the desert fild where my garden is used to be an un-offical dump and burn the trash back in the 40/50's I find all kinds of junk and uncountable broken bottles too. Which if things go right this summer just might supply me with a mirror blank for a telescope mirror.