What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

Page 3 of 3

I just examined the camellia bushes we have planted in our backyard--they have essentially identical leaves to those figured in your images; deep green, shiny upper surface and mildly serrated, notched. I would certainly tend to favor camellia, as some other folks in this thread have suggested.
Fossil Plants Of The Ione Basin, California http://members.aol.com/Waucoba5/ione/ioneproject.html