What kind of plant is this

In my house there is a plant in a big orange container. It is green, and about as big around as a football. The main branch goes straight up. About midway up, there are two branches. One goes directly out to the the left, the other directly out to the right. Then they have a 90 degree turn and go straight up. And there are these sharp things all over it, almost like needles.

Any idea?

Reply to
DavidPT40

Some kind of cactus it sounds like.

Reply to
Tom Randy

This one really made me laugh.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

It's a medieval knight's cudgel.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Sounds like Norfolk Island pine, Araucaria heterophylla. The sharp things ARE needles; it is a conifer. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Reply to
Iris Cohen

This is an easy one. The big orange container gave it away. It is a saguaro cactus (Cereus giganteus).

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Sounds like a "hokey pokey plant" to me!!!

That's what its all about!!!

**************

Saguaro cactus (Cereus giganteus), Stephen Henning? You make me laugh. Yeah sure, its the container that identifies the plant!! It could be any of a huge number of columnar stem succulent cactus or Euphorbia.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

If you dont mind me asking, are you formally or self educated in botany Cereus?

Reply to
DavidPT40

I do mind you asking.

It is not relevant to YOUR inability to describe the plant in any detail.

You have already wasted far too much of everyone's time here.

Either provide a more detailed description of the plant or go away.

Since your plant has both arms up in the air, it would seem even it has had enough of you.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

I wasn't paying enough attention & I thought it was a Norfolk Island pine. But I missed something else. What is the significance of the big orange container? Also, I thought it was an endangered species. How come they are selling it, if it was purchased? Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Reply to
Iris Cohen

This is a really weird thread. I took for granted the original poster was joking around about his cactus. But I'm beginng to wonder which if any of the responses are serious.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

JEEZE! HOW MUCH MORE INFORMATION DO YOU NEED? You need to read some books on plants Cereus! You should start with "My first garden".

So lets go over thise ONE MORE TIME

Its the diameter of a football. It has two 'arms' that are at 90 degree angles. Its covered with needle-like objects. There are vertical ridges all over the plant. There is a hole near the top of the plant, and I think a small bird lives in there. The soil is very strange, its not like regular dirt. It dries out pretty quickly, and is very light. The pot is orange. The only instructions for the plant are 'water sparingly'.

Can anyone help me identify what it is? I think it must be rare or something, cause it grows very slowly.

Reply to
DavidPT40

Does it help to know that this is the same poster who asked about growing apples from seed after he fertilized them with vinegar?

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Need a more thorough description of the plant itself. Anything else is irrelevant.

How many angles on the stems? How long are the angles? Are they rounded or sharp margined? How tall are the branches in inches? How wide are they in inches? What color are they?

Do the spines (needle-like objects) arise from small tufts of wool or directly from the stem? How many are there in each cluster? What do they look like? What color are they?

Better yet, do you have a picture of the darn thing?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

In other words, its that freaking troll wasting our time again.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

What is "it", the orange pot?

Reply to
Stephen Henning

The big orange container is about as useful as the rest of the information - Not Very Much

The term needle usually refers to conifers or TROLLS (that is what trolls do), not cactus which have spines or thorns.

Plants are not normally considered to have arms, but rather stems and branches.

Footballs don't have a (singular) diameter unless you don't live in the USA.

Saguaro cactus (Cereus giganteus) are illegal to dig up but you can buy seed and raise your own in big (very big) orange containers.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@soggy72.drizzle.com:

According to _Nature's Dark Mythology_ by Gordson de Brayns, it's not a plant, it's a dormant manifestation of the cucurbit equivalent of the grim reaper. If you perform the proper divination rite, you will see that the orange bucket is actually a rotting pumpkin. In any case, the owner had best not harm the "plant" lest he wishes to be latter bludgeoned to death by a mob of overwhelmed zucchini growers.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Here is a picture of one of my two cacti. This one doesnt have the arms, but I think it might be the same type

DavidPT40

That's Austrocylindropuntia subulata.

Its nothing at all like what you so badly described.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...