What kind of plant is this

Page 1 of 2
In my house there is a plant in a big orange container. It is green, and about as big around as a football. The main branch goes straight up. About midway up, there are two branches. One goes directly out to the the left, the other directly out to the right. Then they have a 90 degree turn and go straight up. And there are these sharp things all over it, almost like needles.
Any idea?
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:28:14 +0000, DavidPT40 wrote:

Some kind of cactus it sounds like.
This one really made me laugh.
Dave

About
go

About
go
It's a medieval knight's cudgel.
-paghat the ratgirl
<< The main branch goes straight up. About midway up, there are two branches. One goes directly out to the the left, the other directly out to the right. Then they have a 90 degree turn and go straight up. And there are these sharp things all over it, almost like needles. >><BR><BR>
Sounds like Norfolk Island pine, Araucaria heterophylla. The sharp things ARE needles; it is a conifer. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

This is an easy one. The big orange container gave it away. It is a saguaro cactus (Cereus giganteus).
Sounds like a "hokey pokey plant" to me!!!
That's what its all about!!!
**************
Saguaro cactus (Cereus giganteus), Stephen Henning? You make me laugh. Yeah sure, its the container that identifies the plant!! It could be any of a huge number of columnar stem succulent cactus or Euphorbia.

If you dont mind me asking, are you formally or self educated in botany Cereus?
I do mind you asking.
It is not relevant to YOUR inability to describe the plant in any detail.
You have already wasted far too much of everyone's time here.
Either provide a more detailed description of the plant or go away.
Since your plant has both arms up in the air, it would seem even it has had enough of you.

JEEZE! HOW MUCH MORE INFORMATION DO YOU NEED? You need to read some books on plants Cereus! You should start with "My first garden".
So lets go over thise ONE MORE TIME
Its the diameter of a football. It has two 'arms' that are at 90 degree angles. Its covered with needle-like objects. There are vertical ridges all over the plant. There is a hole near the top of the plant, and I think a small bird lives in there. The soil is very strange, its not like regular dirt. It dries out pretty quickly, and is very light. The pot is orange. The only instructions for the plant are 'water sparingly'.
Can anyone help me identify what it is? I think it must be rare or something, cause it grows very slowly.
Need a more thorough description of the plant itself. Anything else is irrelevant.
How many angles on the stems? How long are the angles? Are they rounded or sharp margined? How tall are the branches in inches? How wide are they in inches? What color are they?
Do the spines (needle-like objects) arise from small tufts of wool or directly from the stem? How many are there in each cluster? What do they look like? What color are they?
Better yet, do you have a picture of the darn thing?

Here is a picture of one of my two cacti. This one doesnt have the arms, but I think it might be the same type
http://home.insightbb.com/~k4emq/mycactus.jpg
That's Austrocylindropuntia subulata.
Its nothing at all like what you so badly described.

Frequently called Eve's Needle Cactus or Eve's Pin Cactus or Cane Cholla.
Name: The latin name comes from the Latin australis (southern) and the Greek cylindro (cylinder) and opuntia (referring to an ancient Greek city, Opus) pronounced oss-troh-sil-in-droh-PUN-tee-uh
Origin: High elevations in Ecuador and Peru, 8000 to 12000 feet (2400 to 3600 m)
Growth Habits: Tree-like cactus, up to 13 feet tall (4 m), 10 feet in diameter (3 m); stems up to 20 inches long (50 cm); awl like leaves, up to 5 inches long (12 cm); 1 to 4 spines, up to 3.2 inches long (8 cm); Red flowers, up to 2.4 inches long (6 cm)

What is "it", the orange pot?
In article snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Don't smoke the pot once it has turned orange.
<< The big orange container gave it away. >>
I wasn't paying enough attention & I thought it was a Norfolk Island pine. But I missed something else. What is the significance of the big orange container? Also, I thought it was an endangered species. How come they are selling it, if it was purchased? Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Iris Cohen) wrote:

This is a really weird thread. I took for granted the original poster was joking around about his cactus. But I'm beginng to wonder which if any of the responses are serious.
-paghat the ratgirl
(Iris Cohen) wrote:

pine. But

container?
it, if

Does it help to know that this is the same poster who asked about growing apples from seed after he fertilized them with vinegar?
pam - gardengal
In other words, its that freaking troll wasting our time again.