What kind of Ground Bee?

I noticed a VERY large 'ant hill' in my yard before mowing the lawn the other day and for some reason, I decided to step on the hill to see what would happen. Figured I had some sort of strange ant colony ...nope, a couple passes w/the mower and I noticed bees of some sorts, about a half dozen of them, frantically flying about over the closed hole. Got the Raid, figured I'd have to kill 'em since I've gone and pissed them off now, sprayed a couple, but then realized that these little guys are NOT aggressive at all. I stood there for the longest time and watched them trying to dig their way back in, they did but it took 'em a while.
I looked up "ground bees" online but only seem to find info on yellow jackets (they are not those) and info on a solitary ground bee ... I would guess these are not that either since there were a whole bunch.
Anyhoo, they were smaller than a honey bee (much smaller) had very obvious black and white striped rumps and a bright (practically fluorescent) yellow/green front section - sorta reminded me of the green on a green-headed fly (anybody from the Massachusetts area that's been to Plum Island at a certain time of year will know what I'm talking about!).
Will these guys destroy my lawn? Or will there just be one little nest there?
Thanks ~Catty One 20 miles north of Boston, Zone 5
Catty One wrote:

This does sound rather like your bees:
http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/hyg/hyg-07.htm
KD
Okay, I have to ask: don't the big bumble-bee bees sometimes make nests in the ground, too? I remember getting seriously stung by some fat old bumbly looking thingies once.
Giselle (and I've met lots of people who say, "Oh, they don't sting" but I have news for them -- I had an allergic reaction to them and grew a huge 2nd degree burn-looking blister that crawled from my shoulder to my elbow like a multi-armed octopus)
Some form of Halictid, google an image of Greenheaded virescent bee
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/bees.html
Third section down is looking like my little colony. Thank you very much for your info!
~Catty

Is this the one?
http://www.sonic.net/~fstev/Green%20metallic%20bee-web.jpg

I'm 99.9 sure, although I think I've only seen females w/the B&W striped butts.

It probably is solitary ground bees. They don't have a communal nest, but do nest in individual cells near each other. And you are so right, they are not aggressive. Reason? They have no communal hive to defend. If, after knowing all that, you still they think they are a problem, douse the area with water as they prefer dry areas.
Suzy, Zone 5 Wisconsin

Depending on how large it was, cicada killers do this digging as well.