What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

Every since I move to this house (10+ years) we've had this problem.

There's a large (40 ft?) tree in the neighbors yard behind us that sheds jillions and jillions of these tiny leaves in the fall --

normally do outside projects in the fall or spring. If this involves painting or anything that involves liquids, these leaves will always get in it. You have to understand these little leaves blow into every square inch of my yard constantly. It is like a rain that sprinkles leaves for a couple of months. Even if there were no projects to spoil (and there always are), the leaves are everywhere. We constantly track them in the house -- so they're all over the carpets and floors. We'd have to vacuum 4 times a day. Instead we just put up with them being sprinkled around the house. I can sweep them off our deck, but they're raining on the deck while I do it, and there will be a shallow blanket of then again in a day. Actually it's like a blanked of snow. They pile in drifts in some areas and sparse in others.

So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to the new neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is there anything I can do to force them to remove this tree?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

They look like some sort of seeds..You will have to do your painting when the tree is not setting seed and no there is nothing you can do to get someone to cut their tree just because you don't like the seeds.

alice

Reply to
somebody

So if this was going to be such an unacceptable situation, why did you move there in the first place? And you've had ten years to choose to go someplace else. It must not be anywhere near the problem you make it sound like, or you should have moved eight or nine years ago.

Reply to
Warren

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

I apologize they may be seeds. The tree is so tall I can't see well enough to tell --

You will have to do your painting

You've never lived in Houston have you.

I'm not nearly as sure as you that I have to disrupt and lead my life, letting a neighbors tree cover my yard, patio, deck and floor with trash for much of the fall so he can have a trash tree. He can do what he wants in HIS yard, not mine.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

The seed pods look similar to trees that I have (Zone 5 Chicago) that sprout up around here like weeds. I like them because they grow fast and provide lots of shade. They do need constant trimming on a yearly basis or they try and stifle the growth of all the trees around them. Mine shed seeds late Spring. I thought my trees were a Chinese elms but after a couple of google searches it appears they're might be its bastard cousin, Ulmus pumila, Siberian elm.

Check out:

And no, you can't get your neighbors to cut down their tree because you don't like the leaves. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if this were legal? One krotchity neighbor could theoretically have all the trees in the neighborhood cut down.

It's better to work around the tree schedule as just another fact of life like cold winters or rainy springs. Do you lament Mother Nature for making it rain when you want to paint your house?

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Reply to
Marilyn

Didn't you notice the 40' tree when you were buying the house?

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp

Those look like seed pods to me.

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp

Ken Hall expounded:

And as we can all clearly see from the photo, those are seeds, seeds.

Reply to
Ann

Next time the house is for sale buy it. Then it will be your tree. You'll be able to do what ever you want.

Reply to
Pat

Well, as others have said, the stuff looks like seeds, and no, I don't think even in Houston can you force a neighbour to cut down a tree just because it sheds gazillions of li'l seeds. AFAIK, the general rule is that you can force the trimming of branches that overhang your property, especially if they pose a danger (eg, if they're rotting.) You can also roto-root your sewage lines if the roots from the neighbours tree get into them, or force the removal of a tree whose roots dmage your house's foundation, and so on. No doubt local ordinances elaborate on these general principles. Judges sometimes interpret these ordinances in interesting ways. But I doubt a judge would force a neighbour to cut down a tree just because you happen to want to do some painting when it's shedding seeds.

It may be possible to persuade the new neighbour to trim the tree, which might reduce the seed-fall for a season or two. But most trees and shrubs do better than ever after trimming or pruning.

So I'm afraid you're stuck.

BTW, up here in Canada, we take our shoes off at the door - saves a lot of vacuuming. When we first came to Canada 60 years ago, it felt odd doing that. Now it feels odd not doing it. Thus do habits mold our attitudes. :-)

Good luck!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

If he didn't like the fall, he's gonna HATE the spring.

Reply to
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supp

Reply to
Marilyn

In article , snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com says... :) So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't :) talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the :) previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to the new :) neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is there anything I :) can do to force them to remove this tree? :) :) The seeds look like cedar elm, which do mature in the fall..can't really tell with you pic if it is though...not really a lot you can do about a neighbor controlling blowing seeds.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospambrandylion.com says... :) Check out: :) :)

:) Siberian elms are Spring seeders

Reply to
Lar

Nope.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Lar In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com says... :) So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't :) talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the :) previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to th new :) neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is ther anything I :) can do to force them to remove this tree? :) :) The seeds look like cedar elm, which do mature in the fall..can' really tell with you pic if it is though...not really a lot you can do abou a neighbor controlling blowing seeds.

-- Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise, he surely would of swatted those two flies.

to email....get rid of the BUGS

not sure what kind of tree that is. to bad u didnt know how big it wa going to get when u first moved in there otherwise u might have though twice about it lol. the problem u have is called a private nuisance. here is a link tha might or might not help. but if u do take court action against thes ppl i think i would consider moving first because the cost might b somewhat high.

sockiescat.

sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat