What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

Page 1 of 2
Every since I move to this house (10+ years) we've had this problem.
There's a large (40 ft?) tree in the neighbors yard behind us that sheds jillions and jillions of these tiny leaves in the fall --
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/3060/smallleavesclose24qv.jpg.
I normally do outside projects in the fall or spring. If this involves painting or anything that involves liquids, these leaves will always get in it. You have to understand these little leaves blow into every square inch of my yard constantly. It is like a rain that sprinkles leaves for a couple of months. Even if there were no projects to spoil (and there always are), the leaves are everywhere. We constantly track them in the house -- so they're all over the carpets and floors. We'd have to vacuum 4 times a day. Instead we just put up with them being sprinkled around the house. I can sweep them off our deck, but they're raining on the deck while I do it, and there will be a shallow blanket of then again in a day. Actually it's like a blanked of snow. They pile in drifts in some areas and sparse in others.
So again, what is this tree and what can I do about it. I haven't talked to the latest owner of the house with the tree, but the previous owner very politely said $#&@ off. When I speak to the new neighbor I'd like to know if I have any recourse. Is there anything I can do to force them to remove this tree?
Ken
They look like some sort of seeds..You will have to do your painting when the tree is not setting seed and no there is nothing you can do to get someone to cut their tree just because you don't like the seeds.
alice

As I clearly explained they are leaves, not seed -- leaves, leaves.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:37:55 -0500, "somebody"

Ken

And as we can all clearly see from the photo, those are seeds, seeds.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If he didn't like the fall, he's gonna HATE the spring. <HEE>

The green things are leaves and the white pods with seeds in them are seed pods.
No, he can't cut a neighbors tree down. But, yes, he can remove the portions of branches that are on his side of the property line.
It does look a lot like Cedar Elm - Ulmus crassifolia http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/bio406d/images/pics/ulm/ulmus_crassifo lia.htm

He'd be wise to use a reputable tree service for that. People have been successfully sued for butchering neighbors' trees. He also might want to observe the prevailing winds before having the tree trimmed. Otherwise, the trim may end up being useless.
Ken Hall wrote:

You top posted your reply.
Those are seeds.

USDA Zone 8
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:37:55 -0500, "somebody"
I apologize they may be seeds. The tree is so tall I can't see well enough to tell --
http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/4694/leavesontree9ee.jpg

You've never lived in Houston have you.
I'm not nearly as sure as you that I have to disrupt and lead my life, letting a neighbors tree cover my yard, patio, deck and floor with trash for much of the fall so he can have a trash tree. He can do what he wants in HIS yard, not mine.
Ken

Didn't you notice the 40' tree when you were buying the house?
Ken Hall wrote:

Well, as others have said, the stuff looks like seeds, and no, I don't think even in Houston can you force a neighbour to cut down a tree just because it sheds gazillions of li'l seeds. AFAIK, the general rule is that you can force the trimming of branches that overhang your property, especially if they pose a danger (eg, if they're rotting.) You can also roto-root your sewage lines if the roots from the neighbours tree get into them, or force the removal of a tree whose roots dmage your house's foundation, and so on. No doubt local ordinances elaborate on these general principles. Judges sometimes interpret these ordinances in interesting ways. But I doubt a judge would force a neighbour to cut down a tree just because you happen to want to do some painting when it's shedding seeds.
It may be possible to persuade the new neighbour to trim the tree, which might reduce the seed-fall for a season or two. But most trees and shrubs do better than ever after trimming or pruning.
So I'm afraid you're stuck.
BTW, up here in Canada, we take our shoes off at the door - saves a lot of vacuuming. When we first came to Canada 60 years ago, it felt odd doing that. Now it feels odd not doing it. Thus do habits mold our attitudes. :-)
Good luck!
Ken Hall wrote:

You are stuck with his tree dropping its seeds and leaves where ever they fall.

USDA Zone 8
Ken Hall wrote:

So if this was going to be such an unacceptable situation, why did you move there in the first place? And you've had ten years to choose to go someplace else. It must not be anywhere near the problem you make it sound like, or you should have moved eight or nine years ago.
--
Warren H.

==========
In article snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com says...

The seed pods look similar to trees that I have (Zone 5 Chicago) that sprout up around here like weeds. I like them because they grow fast and provide lots of shade. They do need constant trimming on a yearly basis or they try and stifle the growth of all the trees around them. Mine shed seeds late Spring. I thought my trees were a Chinese elms but after a couple of google searches it appears they're might be its bastard cousin, Ulmus pumila, Siberian elm.
Check out:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID 4
And no, you can't get your neighbors to cut down their tree because you don't like the leaves. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if this were legal? One krotchity neighbor could theoretically have all the trees in the neighborhood cut down.
It's better to work around the tree schedule as just another fact of life like cold winters or rainy springs. Do you lament Mother Nature for making it rain when you want to paint your house?
snipped-for-privacy@nospambrandylion.com says... :) Check out: :) :) http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID 4 :) :) Siberian elms are Spring seeders
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,

The problem is that some people think that participants in a newsgroup have some special knowledge when in fact everyone here is just as ignorant as the average person. Of course no one here would agree with that.
<Scooter Pup> wrote in message

True, sometimes. But, it takes NO special knowledge to know that you cannot cut down a tree that's on your neighbor's property. Some towns allow you to trim the part that overhangs your property line, but the OP should be warned that it's easy to use a saw incorrectly and really screw up a tree. He'd be liable for that damage.
says... :) as ignorant as the :) average person. Of course no one here would agree with that. :) :) :) I'll have you know Mister, that my ignorance is above average.....
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
The advanced search option at www.enature.com will let you search by shape, region etc. If you find out what it is please post. The leaves look familiar but I have no idea wht kind of tree it is. Marilyn

"Marilyn" <fcorliss at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Those look like seed pods to me.