What is this seedling please?

I have it from a packet of mixed seeds - it had a black triangular flat seed about 4 or 5mm long. The first pair of leaves have 2 lobes each, but each leaf is "U" shaped, so that the pair of leaves together look rather like the shape of a gene/chromosome pair. The second pair of leaves look like they will be heart shaped but are only just starting to unfurl.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 2011_05_28 - 00 1529 web 5inch.jpg | |Download:
Glenys Everest

You are not making this too easy. Was there any more information on the packet, are they flowers, salad mix, border plants, climbers, what? It would be unusual to package just anything at all. Is a list of species included?

David Hare-Scott

I have it from a packet of mixed seeds - it had a black triangular flat seed about 4 or 5mm long. The first pair of leaves have 2 lobes each, but each leaf is "U" shaped, so that the pair of leaves together look rather like the shape of a gene/chromosome pair. The second pair of leaves look like they will be heart shaped but are only just starting to unfurl.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 2011_05_28 - 00 1529 web 5inch.jpg | |Download:
|+-------------------------------------------------------------------+Looks an awful lot like morning glory of some genus or other
Reply to
Nelly

I have it from a packet of mixed seeds - it had a black triangular flat seed about 4 or 5mm long. The first pair of leaves have 2 lobes each, but each leaf is "U" shaped, so that the pair of leaves together look rather like the shape of a gene/chromosome pair. The second pair of leaves look like they will be heart shaped but are only just starting to unfurl.

|+-------------------------------------------------------------------+Looks an awful lot like morning glory of some genus or other

Damn, forgot about that ol' dash-dash- (space? return?)

Reply to
Nelly

It looks like Morning Glory, a climber, usually has blue flowers. Only problem is its very tender.

Ganggang

Thanx Ganggang

I have checked up on the web, and am now very exited (I lead a sheltered life) about having these in my garden. Hubby not too chuffed I think, as they are similar to convulvulus in appearance, but they are annuals so will not take over, I hope??

Glenys Everest