What is this plant?

Recently in my area this plant has begun to look like it will flower, which it hasn't done in at least 10 years, so I would like to know what it is and if it has a chance of flowering in the UK (South West)
Thanks.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: plant.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 374| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
steve2008

That is one of a few species of Agave commonly known as century plant.
Amos Nomore wrote:

Yep. The main plant will die after flowering but there is likely to be pups around the base that will survive. If it has got that far it will likely continue, it will probably not be long before the flowers open although they may not be very interesting.
David
steve2008 wrote:

It's a Century Plant, agave, probably Agave Americana. I've seen them in tropical, humid climates.
Wikipedia says:
>It has a spreading rosette (about 4 m/13 ft wide) of gray-green leaves >up to 2 m (6.6 ft) long, each with a spiny margin and a heavy spike at >the tip that can pierce to the bone. Its common name derives from its >habit of only occasionally flowering, but when it does, the spike with >a cyme of big yellow flowers may reach up to 8 m (26 ft) in height. The >plant dies after flowering, but produces suckers or adventitious shoots >from the base, which continue its growth. The average lifespan is >around 10 years.
gloria p
Thanks :)
It was a welcome distraction on the daily route to work to see how it was progressing.
It is toward the end of its flowering now with just the few top ones going.
Thanks for the name.
Here's hoping I won't still be doing that walk next time it flowers ;)
steve2008