What is this on my butterfly bushes????

Dare I hope it is the famed Monarch that lead me to plant milkweed plants and butterfly bush seed last year in the hopes of attracting them??
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z141/arkienurse/?action=view&current terpillars003.jpg
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z141/arkienurse/?action=view&current terpillars004.jpg
I have been looking at my flower beds on an almost daily basis. I had to miss this weekend due to work and going and coming in the dark. Today I got home in daylight hours, started by my car, and worked my way over. I was so excited to see these cats on my butterfly weeds. I do know one thing-- if this truly is monarchs, I had better start off my milkweed seeds in November or December next year. I started them in peat pellets back in Feb, and transplanted them out last weekend. They are only a few inches tall, and only have 4-6 leaves apiece right now. My butterfly bushes came back from the roots, a pleasant surprise.
Way to go!
I get butterflies, but no caterpillars on mine.
I got nothing last year, only an occasional monarch to visit. I guess because I planted from seed. This time last year, I don't think the butterfly weed seed were even up, much less big enough to support a cat. I do worry that there are too many for my bushes. Some bushes had 3 or 4 on them, but some, that were just coming up last week, don't have any.
Vicky

those are monarchs! lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Go to www.enature.com to see and hear what's in your neigborhood.
--

Billy

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:23:03 -0500, "arkienurse"

most persistent plant in mon jardin. Deep, deep pruning. I finally gave up & took mine out.
Persephone
I counted a total of 12 cats last week, but my grandson( 4) and my daughter (5) love "wormies" and took care of a few before I was able to convince them to leave my caterpillars alone! The 6 that are left had decimated the butterfly weeds by Friday morning, with still a week or so to go before beginning their transformation. I hit Wal-Mart and Home Depot hoping to find milkweed plants of some sort. HD had some later in the summer last year, so I prayed they might. Nope. My husband got the bright idea of calling one of the local nurseries this morning @ 730. Glory hallelujah, she said yes I have milkweed and we open at 8. DH was worried that she would be way more expensive than what we are used to, but I was prepared to pay even $10 a bush if necessary to keep the cats alive. I was quite impressed! Tropical milkweed, 2 1/2 feet tall, 2 plants to a pot, for $6. I bought 5 pots of milkweed, 2 a 6 pack of golden marigolds, one of purple salvia, and 2 packs of a plant called Gazania. the Gazania are a full sun plant that closes the blossoms at night, it vaguely reminds me of sunflowers. And she will have a variety of the yellow milkweed ready next month that has the ability to survive our winters if mulched. And maybe some of the purple/blue lantana, but hers is not coming up yet, so she wasn't sure. I believe I have found a place to buy all my plants now, hers made the ones I see at wally world and home depot seem puny in comparison ( and she gave my daughter and grandson their own tom thumb tomato plants to plant, so they will leave mine alone. As I sit here typing this, they are both gathered around their containers talking to the tomato and marigold plants they just planted)
Vicky

<http://www.milkweedfarm.com/
My wild milkweed is about up 12 inches. Fancy stuff planted two years ago are hopefully coming.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA