what is this growing in my yard?

I spotted this broadleaf weed in the side garden the other day. I don't think I've ever seen it in the yard before. Can anyone identify it? I'm talking about the big fuzzy heart-shaped leaves near the center of the photo. The largest must be 5" long.

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Looks like common burdock to me, a nasty with a taproot that'll make the dandelion it's snuggled up with look tame.

if you have dogs or cats that are outside, this one in seed is a pet coat nightmare. Don't let it flower or go to seed. This is one freely paint with an herbicide, but you may have different priorities RE chemicals.

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
sue and dave

Ah, it's that big purple thistle thing. Thanks. I'm going to be using herbicide a lot in that area, dandelions, mulberry, bindweed and the aggressive honeysuckle....

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn