What is this?

Can anyone identify this? I found them in a yard in northern Virginia, it also seems to attract a lot of flies. Thanks in advance.
http://tinyurl.com/6x7vu
stinkhorns
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Stinkhorn
Tim wrote:

they do stink).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

They didn't seem to have a stink (even the ones still standing), is there a variety with a less offensive odor?

Maybe....and maybe they aren't stinkhorns as the other poster said. Unless they open and you really see the structure you can't be sure. I remember the stinkhorns I had in my hard really did stink throughout their whole growth, so I guess yours aren't.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

They kind of resemble immature or abortive mushrooms of the genus Amanita. Many amanitas are attractive to flies, especially the classic Amanita muscaria, which grows in association with conifer or birch tree roots. Most amanitas are poisonous; some are among the most toxic mushrooms on Earth. Some are good eating. A few are hallucinogenic.
But I really do think those are stinkhorns and yes, some smell better (less worse?) than others, and some don't stink until they sporulate. You just have to admire them for their audacious aspect, especially some of the more suggestive species! A repugnant, yet fascinating design. Hard to kill a stinkhorn, no matter how funky it looks and smells.
Tim Wrote:

Hi Tim, You might want to click around here to see if you can id you 'shrooms.
http://tinyurl.com/4smqa
New
-- Newt

Thanks!