What is the best way to protect barrel

I have a crape myrtle in a half size whiskey barrel. It grew nicely this past summer and bloomed, but now at the weather is getting colder, how do I protect that shrub in the barrel, besides mulch on top? All the leaves had their fall color and are now gone.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Harri85274) wrote:

Protect from what? Where do you live? In the South or North, the East or West, the USA or Europe, where?