What is the best plant to grow in shade?

I need to know, because all year I've had a garden bed I made between a few trees in my yard. And nothing will grow. I didn't realize how important the sun actually is. But is there anything I can grow in my garden?

Reply to
CoreyWhite

violets. I can't kill mine.

Reply to
Charles

There are a quite few plants that will live in the shade, some will have reduced flowering or may grow very slowly. But you may still need some more info to begin searching for candidates; water, temp zone, soil pH as well as telling us if you want bushes, groundcover, vines, flowers, foliage, and if you willing to plant in ground or move pots indoors for the winter, etc. I have quite a bit of shade and have some plants doing well, others I had poor luck with.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Have a look at the URG FAQ :~))

JennyC

Are you wanting to grow shrubs, perennials, annuals?

Do you want flowers, or just greenery?

My favorite shade shrub is pieris japonica. Very attractive, relatively slow growing, pretty year round.

Perennials could include hellebores,

Reply to
newsreader

The OP has hundreds of plants to choose from. He should immediately purchase the best book ever published on this subject: The Complete Shade Gardener, by George Schenck. Loaded with ideas.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Had my best luck with Plants that come up early and do their thing before the leaves come in!

Reply to
chatnoir

You could try Hostas and Geraniums (not Pelargoniums) Vincas

Reply to
Sacha

thanx for the book suggestion!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Shade and even deep shade can be an ab fab asset in which you can grow a plethora of plants. Is this a dry area -is it on a slope. ? If you can give a bit more information about the land then I am certain you will get further suggestions.

Reply to
Rupert (W.Yorkshire)

Clivia (bulb-like with striking bright orange flowers) is strictly a shade plant. Camelia japonica is a flowering shrub for the shade; other camelias will tolerate shade very well. Most azaleas do best with shade, but many will tolerate a slight amount of sun. Wax-leaf begonias do very well in the shade.

Of course, since you didn't indicate in what climate zone or geographical area you are, it's possible none of these are suitable.

Since many newsgroup servers limit cross-posting, followups set to rec.gardens.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I'm not kidding - you'll get lost in that book. It's that good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Astilbe Impatiens Hosta Elephant ears

For starters

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

CoreyWhite napisal(a):

I advise you to plant: Hosta plantaginea, Aquilegia, Convallaria majalis, Corydalis, Cimicifuga, Lathyrus, Luzula, Omphalodes verna, Pachysandra terminalis, Polygonatum...

Reply to
RafcioS

I love my firespike, tropical looking all summer - then cool red blooms! Dies down with the freeze but comes back in spring.

Also, consider having the trees thinned and the crowns raised. It helped my back yard a LOT.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hello, I don't know this plant very well, Odontonema didn't growing in yards in Poland, maybe cause for he's small popularity? In Central Europe to shade we recomend Hosta and Bergenia plants. They are evergreen so you can enjoy this perrenial plants even when winter comes:) You wrote that you wan't to plant some trees. Maybe good is Salix? This is a popular inoculate on bole tree in Europe. Look for some fotos on google of Salix caprea variety 'Kilmarnock' or 'Weeping Sally'. Sorry first: for my English but I'm still learning this language and second: for this latin names but I don't know how to say in english this species. This is good opportunity to train:)

Post Scriptum I don't understand what do you mean with this changing .not to .net?

Best regards, Ralf.

Reply to
RafcioS

... hellebores, ferns and lots of different ivys.

Reply to
La Puce

You don't say where you live or what sort of plants you are looking for, but in general, rainforest plants do well in the shade (unless it gets very cold in your area).

Judanne

Reply to
Judanne

More likely because it cannot take long, cold, dark winters. (It is one of many attractive plants I can't grow where I live.)

I admire you for learning English. You do it well enough to communicate.

It would be much better if we all used the Latin names. English common names are not always the same from one area to another and can be confusing.

The person making that post has altered his e-mail address to protect him from spamming. Those are instructions for correcting the address. I have similar instructions in my signature.

On topic: I have Corydalis lutea, Geranium macrorrhizum, Polygonatum odoratum 'varigatum', various Hosta, and Epidmedium growing well in my very shadiest areas. Also Uvularia grandiflora and Hepatica acutiloba, two native Michigan plants.

The Corydalis is the longest blooming plant in my garden every year, with flowers from early May through October always. This year I had one plant still flowering on the first day of December!

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz