What is a cottage garden plant?

We’re having a debate in our office over the difference between ‘cottage garden’ and ‘informal garden’ styles. Would you say that these are two different names for the same style, or are there plants that are specifically ‘cottage garden’ plants – and if so, what defines a cottage garden plant?
--
plantify.co.uk

Add pictures here
✖
two names for the same style
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:16:45 +0000, plantify.co.uk

Add pictures here
✖
Fran wrote:

Exactly... like the difference between an A cup and a training bra.
Add pictures here
✖

LOL! oh, yeah --- snicker ----
Add pictures here