What Have I Got Here?

In summer 2003 I adjusted one of the edges of my lawn. There were a couple of areas that were weeds and runners of ragged grass, and looked like crap, so I took out about 3' feet of "lawn" in some places. Last spring I pulled-off the bark mulch, and what scraps were left of the newspaper under it, dug it up, and planted a bunch of Asiatic lilies in two of these new bed areas.

In one area, the lilies came up, and that's all. In another area, around the lilies came up this pale green, succulent-like, foliage. The leaves were long, oval, and sort of daisy looking, but very pale, thick, and soft. It was all very contained, and wasn't flowering, so I decided to let it go, and see what would happen.

It survived the winter, which was pretty mild for the Portland area. Their height was about the same as a drift of petunias, or other low-growing plant. In the past month or so, they've more than tripled in height, and are now around 4' tall. And they've started to bloom. Little white, five petal, flat flowers, about an inch and a half across. Here are some pictures:

've flipped through a few picture books looking for something like this, but haven't found anything. I don't recall running across anything like this in the local nurseries, either. I have no idea what they are. But I'm sure once someone sees them, I'm going to feel real silly because it's probably something pretty common.

So what is it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Warren

Lychnis coronaria =91Alba=92???

Reply to
told2b

Lychnis coronaria =91Alba=92???

Reply to
told2b

That's it exactly!

Lychnis coronaria Alba???

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

"Warren" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yes, as others have written, it's Lychnis. It's difficult to keep it white, as over time it will revert to fuschia.

Reply to
David Bockman

Yeah. That's it!

I'm still not sure how it got there, and not anywhere else. And I'm a little amazed that it picked a good spot, too.

Thanks!

Reply to
Warren

It got there from errant seed. It probably hitchhiked in the pot of some other plant you got. Its one example that not all weeds are bad.

The plant is a short lived perennial that easily establishes itself from seed.

I have the original fuchsia color flowered form and I encourage it to reseed itself by shaking the mature seed capsules over a desired spot I want it to grow. The plants are self pollinating and produce many mature seed capsules.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Propagation: cut back the bloom stalk after the blooms are finished. Take a piece of the stalk about 3-4" long leaving two leaves at the top and just stick it right into the ground up to the leaves. You need to use the stiffer stalks but they really grow.

No root hormone, no babying. Not all will make it but I ended up with too many! Also if you dig up the base and divide into small plants, those will grow too.

I have the 'apple blossom' p> It got there from errant seed. It probably hitchhiked in the pot of some

Reply to
Sterling

Plants are "smarter" than we give them credit for. They're very adept at surviving in hospitable sites, and have been thriving on their own without human interference for a very long time!

Suzy, zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Suzy O