What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening experience/s?

What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening nightmare experience/s you've had so far - not the ones that occur in sleep dreaming, but any disastrous or incredibly lousy garden work, or project/s done on either your own current or former garden (or someone else's) by either yourself, or done by someone else.

Reply to
Brian

presley

My aunt was sharing some of her plants with me and when she showed me this little creeping one that had tiny blue/purple flowers on it I said I wanted it too. Well six years later I am still trying to get this weed out of my flower beds and lawn.

Reply to
Lynn

Paying $350 for a bristle cone pine in memory of my mother and planting it in her garden and despite TLC it died. Now there is a weeping something replacement and I am told it too is browning out. Now everything else in that garden is flourishing and the garden center has a great rep.

2nd worst is letting wild geranium hitchhike in on something. I am battling that for 2 years. >What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening nightmare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Planting mint by my garden beds, it grew better than anything else and tried to take over.

Planting Lamb's Ears in the flower bed, because I thought it was pretty. Until it tried to over-run everything else.

But the best one was my first rock wall around a tree. When I was done and stepped back to look at it I laughed until I cried. It was the funniest looking thing I've ever made. Then I had fun demolishing it and started over. Third time was the charm!

Reply to
speeracres

Ajuga (SP) and hops. Both VERY invasive. I planted the hops ;((. Otherwise planting too close to foundations or other plants even if my father in-law warned me about how plants grow. Keeping house foundation clear helps with termites here. They like secret hidden access.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

On the day of Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:28:30 GMT... "Lynn" typed these letters:

Sounds like periwinkle. If it is you aren't alone in your battles against it :)

Devonshire

Reply to
Devonshire

That must be creeping charlie. My officemate had it so bad he used gasoline and torched his entire yard, replaced a few inches of dirt, and replanted grass. The creeping charlie returned. To honor this plant, I have one container set aside for creeping charlie. It can't do any damage in a container garden and it turned out to be a rather nice looking dangly vine. It also requires no care and comes back every year.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Last year I had what I thought was perennial coreopsis (sp?) coming back strongly in two of my wildflower boxes. I let it grow and grow and it got really big and took over. No problem, I thought at the time. A couple of nice swatches of that plant would look interesting. When it bloomed, instead of yellow flowers it had these tiny white flowers. A quick search on the Internet revealed that what I had grown into sizeable plants was common chickweed, a horrible horrible weed which chokes its competition. I spent the rest of the summer eradicating that plant from the boxes.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

No that's not it, but it is pretty.

Reply to
Lynn

That's it!!! frigging stuff! I weeded it from my front flower garden (where I orginally planted it) and just tossed it on the ground. then it grew there and spread like wild fire. it wraps around other plants and is the most miserable stuff. I don't mind it too much in the grass but in the flower beds I cuss it daily.

Reply to
Lynn