What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening experience/s?

What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening nightmare experience/s you've had so far - not the ones that occur in sleep dreaming, but any disastrous or incredibly lousy garden work, or project/s done on either your own current or former garden (or someone else's) by either yourself, or done by someone else.
well, I once planted what I thought was caroline lupine (thermopsis) and it turned out to be a related-but-much-more invasive western version of the same plant. By year two, it was sending out runners 10 feet away (under sidewalks, for instance) by the dozens. It took about 2 garden seasons of constant pulling to eradicate it. (On the other hand, it would be a great plant for some wild meadowy garden on big acreage, but not in my postage-stamp size garden)

My aunt was sharing some of her plants with me and when she showed me this little creeping one that had tiny blue/purple flowers on it I said I wanted it too. Well six years later I am still trying to get this weed out of my flower beds and lawn.
--
:) Lynn

"Brian" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
On the day of Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:28:30 GMT...
typed these letters:

Sounds like periwinkle. If it is you aren't alone in your battles against it :)
Devonshire
No that's not it, but it is pretty.
--
:) Lynn

"Devonshire" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In article snipped-for-privacy@ns.spammenotsympatico.ca says...

That must be creeping charlie. My officemate had it so bad he used gasoline and torched his entire yard, replaced a few inches of dirt, and replanted grass. The creeping charlie returned. To honor this plant, I have one container set aside for creeping charlie. It can't do any damage in a container garden and it turned out to be a rather nice looking dangly vine. It also requires no care and comes back every year.
That's it!!! frigging stuff! I weeded it from my front flower garden (where I orginally planted it) and just tossed it on the ground. then it grew there and spread like wild fire. it wraps around other plants and is the most miserable stuff. I don't mind it too much in the grass but in the flower beds I cuss it daily.
--
:) Lynn

"Mark Anderson" < snipped-for-privacy@nospambrandylion.com> wrote in message
Paying $350 for a bristle cone pine in memory of my mother and planting it in her garden and despite TLC it died. Now there is a weeping something replacement and I am told it too is browning out. Now everything else in that garden is flourishing and the garden center has a great rep. 2nd worst is letting wild geranium hitchhike in on something. I am battling that for 2 years. Ingrid

Planting mint by my garden beds, it grew better than anything else and tried to take over.
Planting Lamb's Ears in the flower bed, because I thought it was pretty. Until it tried to over-run everything else.
But the best one was my first rock wall around a tree. When I was done and stepped back to look at it I laughed until I cried. It was the funniest looking thing I've ever made. Then I had fun demolishing it and started over. Third time was the charm!
Ajuga (SP) and hops. Both VERY invasive. I planted the hops ;((. Otherwise planting too close to foundations or other plants even if my father in-law warned me about how plants grow. Keeping house foundation clear helps with termites here. They like secret hidden access.
Bill
--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
In article snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Last year I had what I thought was perennial coreopsis (sp?) coming back strongly in two of my wildflower boxes. I let it grow and grow and it got really big and took over. No problem, I thought at the time. A couple of nice swatches of that plant would look interesting. When it bloomed, instead of yellow flowers it had these tiny white flowers. A quick search on the Internet revealed that what I had grown into sizeable plants was common chickweed, a horrible horrible weed which chokes its competition. I spent the rest of the summer eradicating that plant from the boxes.