What grew best for you this year?

I am in Zone 6 in Kentucky and my tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno peppers and habernero peppers all thrived and I have many bags of them stored in my freezer for chili this winter. Strangely, my squash and zucchini, which usually grow like weeds, did not do well. Nor did my egglant.
Andrea
WEEDS!!!!
With all that heavy rain, the grass grew higher than an elephant's behind!!!!
Is it true that down there in Kentucky, your grass does blue humor?
I don't know what you're going to call that corn whiskey of yours but by the time you get to Bourbon county, you're bound to think of something?!!!!

Basil went crazy here, as did carrots, radishes, peppers, watermelon (my first year with that one), beets and tomatoes. I had several other things in too...but seeing as this was our first garden this year (grass there last year) it did pretty decently. Got a good dump of 'poo' from my dad's barnyard and away went the garden! Gonna dump again this fall for next year, better again next year I hope! Also, we added to the garden, its 5 times the size of this year's 'patch' now. Got horseradish and garlic planted for next year already....gotta cover it this fall though for winter. We live in eastern Ontario, roughly zone 4/5. Cheers! Greenthumbs and brown nails from Wolf Grove Hollow.! Jenny

My basil did so badly that out of about 50 plants, I didn't even manage to get the selected ones to provide seeds for next year. And even worse, I didn't have enough to stock my freezer with pesto for the winter. This is totally unacceptable and I'm considering a civil suit.
Tyra nNJ usa z7

best was actually the fig tree if rated for performance. It set fruits earlier than it ever had. In March. Then when it started ripeniing come the end of August, it started cranking out figs unlike any other time in the last three years it's produced fruit. And it's still cranking out figs. Great huge ones that are sweeter than I would have thought possible for early October. I have three pounds of them in the fridge and I need a receipe because I hate to throw them away when they turn.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, which overlooks English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee in zone 7, Sunset zone 36

(My tomatoes did get a purple ribbon for best vegetables at our county fair. <G>) The garden wasn't quite as good as usual, but I still had moretomatoes, peppers, and okra than I wanted and an adequate supply of winter squash and cucumbers. I shared a lot of them with friends and our neighbors down the street who have two small children. I planted a fall crop of green beans in early August (need to plant earlier) and they are doing well now, but frost a given in the next couple of weeks. I also have a fall crop of radishes that are just starting, but the frost won't bother them.
John
On 12 Oct 2003 13:37:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Andrea Bostrom) opined:

I can't seem to grow much vegetables in Texas. I know it can be done and is done year round, but I have a hard time. Onions did the best, I have my fall tomatoes coming on and developing fruit. My 'Dixieland' peach tree did that absolute best. It is a three year old tree and produced well over a bushel of beautiful, perfect fruit. I thinned it to one peach every 6 inches or so and I pruned it in the late winter before bloom. I am going to plant another this winter. My neighbors loved the peaches and now if I have one in the front garden they can just come and take what they want.
Victoria
My Tomato's did very well but the Bronze Fennel was a real showpiece. Lavender did exceptionally well as did the dandelions....;-)
Dave Sterling Heights, MI
On 12 Oct 2003 13:37:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Andrea Bostrom) wrote:

Overall had probably the worst 'yield' year ever - with the exception of beans - jars and jars of those. My tomato yields were down (30lbs as opposed to ~50 last yr) as were sweet peppers - not enough consistent sun this yr. Hot Thai peppers did well as did cayennes. All the herbs did awesome - especially basil and dill. Tina

In Central Maryland, the fungus grew the best. Other than that, the Leeland Cypres and Arbor Vitae grew well. Terrible year for fruit.
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:31:36 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"

fighting, even when I had to pull out the vines.
So many, I had to learn to freeze the surplus. Hope they taste good when thawed and nukes.
--
Persephone

Well, my Gunnera, but then you could say that in just about any year.......
My dahlias did well, as did my roses until the black spot took over.
Eggplant nada..........tomatoes, okay..........forget about squash............
Love caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:38:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Underworld.com wrote:

Oops - forgot strawberries. So many, I made strawberry sauce for pancakes and waffles. Strawberries, sugar, cardamon and lemon.

Persephone