What fruit is this?

I moved into a house and now in the summer one of the trees in the backyard is bearing some kind of fruit. I have no idea what it is. They look sort of like giant red grapes or plums. I uploaded photos of the fruits and the tree here (apologies for low-quality digital camera).
http://flickr.com/photos/9384650@N06 /
Add pictures here
✖

✖
I concure that they look like plums. Prunes on the other hand do not grow on trees. Prunes are the result of drying plums.
Sherwin D.
KarenCannoli wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
sherwindu wrote:

Some plums are called prunes even when not dried. Notice "capable of drying" in the Merriam-Webster entry:
Main Entry: 1prune Pronunciation: 'prün Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, plum, from Latin prunum -- more at PLUM : a plum dried or capable of drying without fermentation
Paulo
Add pictures here
✖

pretty sure these are plums.
Add pictures here
✖

But only certain types of plums can become prunes, and prune plums do grow on trees.
http://www.bouquetoffruits.com/fruit-facts/prune-plum-facts.html
Add pictures here
✖
They are wonderful plums; I have 2 trees of them, canned 100 bottles last year :)

Add pictures here
✖

Ok, I guess I did have an idea what they were after all. :)
It's just that I've always thought of plums as being very dark, maybe these are a different type or just not ripe yet? Thanks to everyone for your help.
Add pictures here
✖
Ham Pastrami wrote:

There are many varieties. I've seen plums that ranged from medium red to almost black when ripe. And that doesn't even begin to include the plum-apricot crosses such a pluot and aprium and who-knows-what-sorta'-name-they'll-come-up-with-next.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw wrote:

Is a pluot different from a plumcot?
Add pictures here
✖
spampot > wrote:

Who can tell? There are so many crosses and re-crosses that it all gets pretty vague after a while. And given my luck growing fruit trees I doubt that I'll be experimenting on my own.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

http://www.nationaltreetrust.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ID …
http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productID 0285&collection=1
Or maybe a Stanley plum
http://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn 432
http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productIDP342&collection=1
Should be some good eatin' no matter what it is.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖