What fruit is this?

I moved into a house and now in the summer one of the trees in the backyard is bearing some kind of fruit. I have no idea what it is. They look sort of like giant red grapes or plums. I uploaded photos of the fruits and the tree here (apologies for low-quality digital camera).

Ham Pastrami

KarenCannoli

I concure that they look like plums. Prunes on the other hand do not grow on trees. Prunes are the result of drying plums.

Sherw> >I moved into a house and now in the summer one of the trees in the backyard

Reply to
sherwindu

Some plums are called prunes even when not dried. Notice "capable of drying" in the Merriam-Webster entry:

Main Entry: 1prune Pronunciation: 'prün Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, plum, from Latin prunum

-- more at PLUM : a plum dried or capable of drying without fermentation

Paulo

Reply to
Paulo da Costa

Exactly, but the prunes are more oblong. I am pretty sure these are plums.

Reply to
KarenCannoli

They are wonderful plums; I have 2 trees of them, canned 100 bottles last year :)

Reply to
Cathy Boer

But only certain types of plums can become prunes, and prune plums do grow on trees.

Sheldon

Ok, I guess I did have an idea what they were after all. :)

It's just that I've always thought of plums as being very dark, maybe these are a different type or just not ripe yet? Thanks to everyone for your help.

Reply to
Ham Pastrami

There are many varieties. I've seen plums that ranged from medium red to almost black when ripe. And that doesn't even begin to include the plum-apricot crosses such a pluot and aprium and who-knows-what-sorta'-name-they'll-come-up-with-next.

Reply to
John McGaw

Is a pluot different from a plumcot?

Reply to
spampot

?action=product&productID=100285&collection=1 Or maybe a Stanley plum

?action=product&productID=50342&collection=1Should be some good eatin' no matter what it is.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Who can tell? There are so many crosses and re-crosses that it all gets pretty vague after a while. And given my luck growing fruit trees I doubt that I'll be experimenting on my own.

Reply to
John McGaw