What fertilizer for Indian Hawthorn for maximum growth?

I just planted some 1.5 quart Indian Hawthorn plants. I'm in Florida - very sandy soil. At the suggestion of the guy in the F&G dept at Home Depot I put some topsoil in the holes for them. I see some new growth but wondering what if anything I can do to maximize/accelerate their growth? We're in the rainy season right now.

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
Doc

Very sandy soil is lacking in organic material, keep an inch or so mulch of compost around them.

Reply to
beecrofter

Very sandy soil is lacking in organic material, keep an inch or so mulch of compost around them.

Good idea. Also maybe a soil application of microelements with very low nitrogen until you find out more about the plant.

Mulching -

A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
symplastless

Hmm, most Floridians wish their plantings would grow much more slowly.

Sheldon