What did people do today in the garden?

Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I HAD (shhhh) to stop at Home Depot and I was pretty good-ish. However, I did see a pot of Bulbine being sold for 14 dollars and came home, dug my clump out and potted up four flats of 4" pots. That prompted me to shlep out the gear and weed the front beds which have not been properly weeded in two years.
Somehow, while weeding I noticed the return of the Sambuca mexicana, aka Mexican elderberry. It's coming up throughout the bed. Three years ago I pulled it out with a huge chain and truck! It's back. "F."
As I was weeding, I found a whole bunch of echinacea growing like mad, and tons upon tons of coreopsis, the common ordinary orange.
Not an interesting post, but now everyone knows why my knee is up and both a heating pad and one of those freezer thingies are above and under my knee.
Today I raked and fertilized my lawn. I've been digging Johnny jump-ups and potting them up for our herb society sale May 12. I've got my peas going, planted shallots and those little bulbing onions, spread a nice layer of compost on my perennial borders, and picked up tons of sticks and branches from the storms we've been having. It's raining (again) today, and I've got two privates to teach, so it's an indoor day today. Tomorrow we're going up to the Maine ranch to get the bear fence set up for the bees.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Is this from the recent nor'easter or whatever they called it? The big dump of snow, that's what I call it. Tomorrow I plan to try and finish the front beds and plant some Tithonia aka Mexican sunflower.

still people with out power in some spots. One town may not have phone for a month since a relay station was taken out by trees. Verizon has given everyone a temporary (and free) cell phone and brought in a temporary cell tower until they can restore phone service.
Cheryl

woman from NH and her granddaughter were washed away by raging floodwaters and killed, I guess they got 7" of rain up there within hours! We haven't been up to the house yet, we're going up this afternoon if we can get down the road (one of the bridges that are gone is on our road).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 4/28/07 6:08 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I heard about that death.
Wave as you drive by!

I am terribly sorry to hear this. We didn't get such detailed information down here in Texas. The worst thing that happened down here were three days of freezing rain during which the entire city closed down. Dell Inc, where Mark works, was closed for three days! It liked that.
Most of our weather deaths are caused by flash flooding and people driving over low water crossings. The other nightmare on the dry line, down the mid-section of the nation are tornadoes. We rarely get them this far south, but we do get straight line winds up to 80 MPH.
I hope they get things up and running again.
We haven't been up to the house yet, we're going up this

Hope all is well at your place when you get there.
Janet

Thanx, Janet.
Well, just got home and thankfully nothing is horribly wrong at the house. A few large pine boughs down, a bit of seepage in the cellar, nothing major. The road was passable, but had been totally undercut and washed away, they've already got a temporary fix there (it's kind of a major road for major roads around there!) and in another spot half the road was gone, but semi-repaired.
It turned out the woman and child who were killed were *walking through* (!!) the Little River trying to cross where a bridge had been washed away - what was she thinking! A man went in and tried to save them, all three were rescued by boat, sadly the grandmother and granddaughter were drowned :o( I can't imagine why anyone would try to drive through flood waters, never mind try to ford it on foot!
We got the fenceposts in for the electric bear fence for our beeyard, between raindrops. It's still raining! Oh well.....
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

As a child I lived right on the bank of a deep river (where we swam unsupervised in summer). In winter, it often flooded right up to the house and we were absolutely forbidden to paddle through even shallow floodwater. The volume and speed of water coming down in a flood was huge, 6 inches deep could be running fast enough to knock you off your feet.
Janet.

An EMT buddy of mine said there was some thing "off" about the whole incident. No matter what, it is sad.

???
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 4/30/07 9:35 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

It should have been divided at least 2 years ago....
He's still at it - 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there.....

divide once - OMG, the thing had roots of iron! I couldn't get even one bit of it out of the ground! It was at the end of my driveway and grew way too big for the space over the years, it blocked the view. Most of it died about three to four years ago during a particularly harsh winter. I took advantage of the kill and got rid of the rest of it. I've got a lovely yellow baptisia there now, much more manageable!
I feel for your son if it's the same grass I had.....:o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ann, sorry to do this here, but the email bounced. I mailed you a box of plants today Priority. You should have it in two or so days.
Victoria

OK, Vic, and thanx again. I'll let you know when it gets here.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I sent:
Brugmansia (unknown which, but when it flowers I can tell you) Datura wrightii (the largest flowers of the daturas) Aristolochea Mina lobata aka Spanish Flag vine Pride of Barbados
I may be forgetting one or so. I did write names on each pot.
enjoy v

This is a "Morning Light" (I think!) green and white stripes running up the leaf...

job of loosening it up...

We received part of our Greenhouse kit. We unpacked it to make sure there were no missing parts. That took awhile. We expect the rest to be delivered on Monday.
I repotted a bunch of rooted geranium cuttings and did some light weeding in the veggie patch.