What could be eating my pansies?

Location: Central North Carolina

I have several beds of pansies which are being nibbled by some critter. Within a couple of days of initial planting, all the blossoms were gone and signs of the tips of the leaves being chewed were evident.

About 50% of the plants were replaced and sprayed with a repellent which is supposed to be effective for rabbits and deer (the latter unlikely in this neighborhood) but the same thing happened to the replacements. The plants aren't chewed down to the ground immediately but bit-by-bit over the space of a couple of weeks.

I'd heard about a soil fungus which can attack pansies, so I covered one bed with 0.5 inch mesh net supported on poles. That one bed is in much better shape than the others, which are by now chewed down almost to the ground.

I look out at the beds several times each day but never see any critters about, not even birds on the ground. (I've got a couple of potted sedums which were gradually pecked away by birds over the summer.)

Any ideas?

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan expounded:

Sounds like a small animal, perhaps a bunny.

Soil fungus don't have teeth ;->

Get a dog.

Seriously, it sounds like some small animal is munching. The repellant must be replaced every time you either water or it rains.

Reply to
Ann

It's too early in the year for catapillars. How about slugs? After it gets good and dark go out with a flashlight and check your plants and see if there are any critters having a banquet.

zhan

Reply to
BillandJeny

Rabbits, deer, goats, whatever herbivores you have in your area.

You can be sure all the wild critters are very hungry this time of year and they won't stick around when you are looking for them.

Put chicken wire cages over your plants.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

sounds like slugs to me, try the usual Sluggo, diatomaceous earth, beer traps.

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
sue and dave

What exactly do slugs sound like?

Do they emit some sort of ear splitting shriek when they feed?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

They sound like little chain saws.

Reply to
Snooze

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't figured it out yet, but I will.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan