What Cicadas?

My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my property and no others in the immediate area.

The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the peeps who forecast weather.

Jack

Reply to
BroJack

I live in Ohio. Much of the news comes from Columbus and Cincinnati. Both cities are well within the brood X cicada zone. Therefore, if you listen to the news you get the impression that the entire state is experiencing cicadas. In reality, the area that I live in is in a different brood zone and therefore we have only a few cicadas this year and are scheduled for an emergence of another brood in 2008. The NW part of the state isn't in any cicada zone. My sister lives along Lake Erie and she doesn't have any cicadas. If you look into it, you may find that your news is coming from an area of your state that has cicadas and that you are in a zone with a different brood or none at all.

Reply to
Vox Humana

The brood seems to be highly localized in my area. At a friend's house the other day I found every plant and building comvered with them and the ground looked like some maniac had been busily drilling holes in the ground everywhere. Six miles away at my house there hasn't been any sign of them. A couple of weeks ago I was driving around in the Miata with the top down and noticed that the sound came and went in small pockets and even 200 yards away it might be silent while the current location sounded like thousands of dentist's drills.

Reply to
John McGaw

Jack,

I really think you lucked out. We had BILLIONS in my area. They were annoying, noisy, and now that they are dying, they stink to high heaven.

To get an idea of the number in my area, take a look at this page from my web site:

first picture gives you an idea of the number of Cicadas we had. It was taken early one morning at the base of one of my apple trees and is typical of what we seen around my area.

Reply to
Bill R

Reply to
madgardener

Maddie,

The Cicadas are just starting to do their damage around here. Some of the neighbors have quite a bit of damage to their new shrubs. I'll take a few picture and post them on my web site.

P.S. The reason that you could not load some pictures this afternoon was because I was working on my web site (It rained all day so I couldn't work in the garden). They should all load O.K. now and for anyone that wants to see what Cicadas look like the link is:

Bill R

Same here. DE was supposed to be in the thick of it. Have not seen or heard a single one ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

We weren't supposed to get any and we didn't. Looked like our experts knew what they were talking about.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

There are a few areas near me in central NJ where they are really impressive. If I didn't go through those areas, I'd be wondering what all the hype was about, but now I know. Where they are out in force, it really is a sight to see (or hear!).

Joe

window and went out the passenger side window. They were everywhere that year.

Jack

Reply to
BroJack

Reply to
techrat

Send me your address. I have a few hundred thousand I'd like to be ride of.

Reply to
Betsy

Awesome pictures! Glad they aren't here. :)

amy

Reply to
Amy D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

A few cicadas? :o) . I haul trees daily from the Lake down into Columbus & Cincy, when I get down around the reststop around Polaris Pkway on 71, I think my truck is making a funny noise. One stop at the reststop, and you will surely step on a few dozen just walking the sidewalk. I must say Cincy isn't as bad. Around the Lake, I have yet to see or hear one.

Reply to
Josh