What Cicadas?

My State was supposed to be hit hard, but I've seen only one on my property and no others in the immediate area.
The folks who predict cicada invasions are no more accurate than the peeps who forecast weather.
Jack

I live in Ohio. Much of the news comes from Columbus and Cincinnati. Both cities are well within the brood X cicada zone. Therefore, if you listen to the news you get the impression that the entire state is experiencing cicadas. In reality, the area that I live in is in a different brood zone and therefore we have only a few cicadas this year and are scheduled for an emergence of another brood in 2008. The NW part of the state isn't in any cicada zone. My sister lives along Lake Erie and she doesn't have any cicadas. If you look into it, you may find that your news is coming from an area of your state that has cicadas and that you are in a zone with a different brood or none at all.
we can expect a brood n 2007 here in S. wisconsin.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

A few cicadas? :o) . I haul trees daily from the Lake down into Columbus & Cincy, when I get down around the reststop around Polaris Pkway on 71, I think my truck is making a funny noise. One stop at the reststop, and you will surely step on a few dozen just walking the sidewalk. I must say Cincy isn't as bad. Around the Lake, I have yet to see or hear one.

The brood seems to be highly localized in my area. At a friend's house the other day I found every plant and building comvered with them and the ground looked like some maniac had been busily drilling holes in the ground everywhere. Six miles away at my house there hasn't been any sign of them. A couple of weeks ago I was driving around in the Miata with the top down and noticed that the sound came and went in small pockets and even 200 yards away it might be silent while the current location sounded like thousands of dentist's drills.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
BroJack wrote:

Jack,
I really think you lucked out. We had BILLIONS in my area. They were annoying, noisy, and now that they are dying, they stink to high heaven.
To get an idea of the number in my area, take a look at this page from my web site: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage5.htm
The first picture gives you an idea of the number of Cicadas we had. It was taken early one morning at the base of one of my apple trees and is typical of what we seen around my area.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
Bill that looks like Fairy Holler a couple of weeks ago. Were you almost deafened by the sounds of their "machinery"? And the DAMAGE............my poor trees, shrubs....oy vey!! (sounds of my gnashing teeth and wringing hands) but Mom's Nature has a wicked sense of humor and a plan. The female's slicing and laying of 600 eggs in 24 clutches has effectively pruned the ends of every tree and shrub in the area affected here in Southeastern Tennessee. You can look upwards and see the dead twigs and leaves on ALL the trees around me. My crape myrtles, beauty berry, Cornelian cherry, Yoshino cherry, Kousa dogwood, dogwood,Vitex and Althea are all decimated and sliced to horrible proportions. I am pruning the Vitex severely and sacrificing what few blossoms would have been here after the carnage. Your pictures were dead on. I could load the last three on the first page, but the first mass of them was exactly what I had too for WEEKS maddie up in Fairy Holler

madgardener wrote:

Maddie,
The Cicadas are just starting to do their damage around here. Some of the neighbors have quite a bit of damage to their new shrubs. I'll take a few picture and post them on my web site.
P.S. The reason that you could not load some pictures this afternoon was because I was working on my web site (It rained all day so I couldn't work in the garden). They should all load O.K. now and for anyone that wants to see what Cicadas look like the link is: http://members.iglou.com/brosen/cpage1.htm
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
Bill R wrote:

Awesome pictures! Glad they aren't here. :)
amy

heard a single one ;( Frank
We weren't supposed to get any and we didn't. Looked like our experts knew what they were talking about.
On 06/12/2004 09:36 AM, BroJack said:

There are a few areas near me in central NJ where they are really impressive. If I didn't go through those areas, I'd be wondering what all the hype was about, but now I know. Where they are out in force, it really is a sight to see (or hear!).
http://www.joekaz.net/photos/wildlife/html/cicada_3.html
--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net /

I saw it in 1970. Oh man, they came through the driver side car window and went out the passenger side window. They were everywhere that year.
Jack
Send me your address. I have a few hundred thousand I'd like to be ride of.

The peepers are always right on. They tell of warm days. I have never seen it snow when the peepers said warm and sunny weather is here, have you?