What can one grow in sand??

I've been very seriously considering moving to sw FL within the next year (somewhere around Ft Myers & vic.), and would *really* like to hear everyone's personal disappointments & successes as far as what your expectations of gardening down there were; I mean of any kind (growing for sustenance OR ornamentals). TIA

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

Why do you think it is only sand? It is a much faster draining soil to be sure, but it is more than just sand. With a little basic amending you can enjoy a wonderful and diverse gardening experience.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

sand. Being of such modest means, my idea of soil amendments is just adding whatever compost I'd normally produce anyway, which isn't a lot. Native plants I don't expect much trouble with, it's the other things I might want to add. A (non-native)grass lawn would not be part of my plans, nor anything else that'd require what I'd consider an ongoing waste of water. Especially with the water restrictions they so often seem to have.

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow

Soils in that area can be vary tremendously from one half mile area to the next. I gardened in South Florida for 30 years and grew everything my heart desired. Even using the most xeriscape friendly plants available there are thousands of wonderful choices you just can't get anywhere else.

Most of Lee County is rated either "loamy and siliceous" or "sandy over clay" according to the soil survey page at

'm not saying that different soils and climates don't present unique challenges, I just think that simply calling it "sand" is a little lazy. I found the gardening there fascinating and wonderfully rewarding- I'd live and garden there again in a heartbeat if the housing crisis and homeowners insurance increases and storms hadn't worn me out.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

For sandy *soil*, melons or peanuts.

Reply to